kilbaha co clare (loop head)

Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:42 pm

People: club comp

Duration: 2 days

Tide:midday

Weather:not nice , wet and windy

Bait:mac, rag,squid

Rigs:solely SHAMROCK TACKLE TO PROVE A POINT

Results:13 SPECIES, COD, POLLACK, LING, POUTING, WHITING, HADDOCK, RED AND TUB GURNARD, BALLAN & COOKOO'S, DOGFISH, COALIES & OF COURSE BAIT FISH MACKERAL

Report:We went out for 2 days with a guy called Mick Fennel out of kilbaha , he was spot on with all the marks and kept us on fish all the time, the prodomenent species being pollack all averaging about 6-9 lbs feeding at mid water with my tekota 600 lc i was putting my SHAMROCK TACKLE GREEN KILMORE KILLERS back to the exact same depth, which the pollack were feeding, a little jig and hey presto mostly a double hook (the pollack were so big that there wasn't room for 3) but the trio was still unavoidable and back achingly so pulling them up from 40 metre's of water

NO BULL I HAD OVER 50 POLLACK IN AN HOUR AND A HALF USING THAT RIG AND THAT METHOD OF FISHING

the next amount of pollack on the boat with one of the lads was approx 12 - 15 HE WAS GILLING

so after exhausting myself with pollack i said i will fish hard on the bottom to give myself a break then i start leveling in to a mixed bag of cod , ling , whiting & haddock

that basically finished up the first day

the second day we fished closer to the loop again i had my spoils of pollack ling and cod so i changed over to rainbow warriors and start taking the wrasse ,pout and the odd suprise of a gurnard.

the fishing was ace
the skipper i would recommend
BUT THE RIGS ARE SHAMROCK TACKLE
GREEN KILMORE KILLERS
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:01 pm

nice ling what weight was the best ling ? i have targeted them in kilmore quay and never hooked one to my annoyance i will get one some time soon thats a promise was like that with bass a few years ago and seem to have the knack now but those flippin ling musnt like my feramones :cry: good report will be using shamrock tackle very shortly :D

Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:50 pm

the best ling was approx 14 lbs with the best pollack being 79cm about 9 lbs
i garentee if you are in a venue that there is ling around and you throw on a set of the killers with a sliver of mackeral on each hook you will get your first ling

it worked for me and the pictures to prove it
the trick is to work your rig dont just drag it along the bottom

regards mick barry

Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:21 pm

Hi Mick,

That's really good fishing, well done.

I agree with you on the Shamrock tackle, I was out with some mates last week-end and the Shamrock Tackle Sabiki Muppet Rig (Mixed) out fished a variety of other rigs. Had some pollack but nothing like what you got, wish I had the killer rig :!:

What way did you work the rig on the bottom? take it up a few turns / jig it / drop it back down again?

Do you mind letting me know where you buy your Shamrock rigs?
I don't see the Killer rig on either Henry's or Crabrocks on-line shops.

Thanks,
James.

Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:11 pm

while drifting i prefer to lift this rig in and out of the rocks rather than dragging it along, similar to jigging only you are fishing hard on the bottom

hope that makes sense, it reduces tackle loss & the fish lurking around the rock will see food being dropped in and when you go to take it away he will hit you.

the other method with the pollack was,
1. find the dept they are feeding usually 1/3 the way off the bottom and jig like hell if you are in the kill zone you should fill your hooks
2. but the trick is to get back in to that exact zone . this can be done with a line counter or when you hook a fish mid water , when you start reeling in put the line all on to one side of the reel, so when you go to lower again when the line changes side thats the depth the fish are in

hope i answered all the questions

sorry all the rigs are in the dublin shops , id say it will be a few days before they get them up on their sites

southside angling
henrys tackle
the ABC

REGARDS

MICK BARRY

Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:17 pm

nice fishing there well done

what do you feel is so special about the rigs.

i would suggest by your post that you have the method spot on in the way you work it but do you think its the way you fish it or the rigs that are the key.

i would have thought its as much down to your method than the actual rig.

i say this because the rig while it looks good and well put together , it doesnt seem to be anything groundbreaking or really new.

just a couple of beads, a clevis mounted blade, a sandeel imitation and a flash tail.

i have made up similar traces in the past with flasher blades, storm sandeel bodies, muppets etc etc and caught. but wouldnt have thought it anything new really.

Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:19 pm

a step up from redgills though nodoubt, agree with that

Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:39 pm

Amazed you even knew what species of fish the ling was!! Great Digital Photography Mick,How did you manage to enlarge the size of the fish?
Well done mate,I suppose I will have to listen about that Ling for the next ten years!

Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:14 am

to reply to adams questions, which is quite valid
1. they were made by anglers for anglers
2. they were designed to stop the anglers from having to take gears apart and putting their own specs on them in order to catch fish
3. a lot of time and effort of playing around with different colours, sizes, and styles from international anglers have designed them,
4. they are unique to there design, the balance of colours , glitter , high luninousity is spot on
5. i have been attempting to make something like this over the past few years using 3 rigs to make one
6, why do i think its special i normally use 3 rigs

Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:29 am

to reply to adams questions, which is quite valid
1. they were made by anglers for anglers (which boosts your confidence)
2. they were designed to stop the anglers from having to take gears apart and putting their own specs on them in order to catch fish
3. a lot of time and effort of playing around with different colours, sizes, and styles from international anglers have designed them,
4. they are unique to there design, the balance of colours , glitter , high luminosity is spot on
5. i have been attempting to make something like this over the past few years using 3 rigs to make one
6, why do i think its special i normally use 3 rigs
a. imitation eels (red devils)tied with spade end )
b. a rig with flashing ( not feathers)
c. beads & blades
in this rig i get all three which covers a wide amout of angles

is it my techniques, i would have to agree yes it is a big consideration , but when you are fishing with others using the same techniques and are fishing at the same level as i am, and they are only getting less than 30% of my catch, i think the consideration may be passed on to the rig

YOU SAID THIS
i have made up similar traces in the past with flasher blades, storm sand eel bodies, Muppet's etc etc and caught. but wouldn't have thought it anything new really.

THE THING IS YOU DONT HAVE TO TIE IT UP ANYMORE THERE IT IS READY TO GO OUT OF THE PACKET

and it is new try find a rig that is as luminous, well tied, with beads & blades, a good balance of colours, a fleck going through it , with a limey green flashing (that's proving to be a very popular colour on the competitions scene) there is just so many angles covered in this rig[/b]

Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:47 pm

cheers, thanks for the reply, interesting. i may try some next time i am out

Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:38 pm

personnaly i think its worth while just to get one packet try them out and when you see the results im sure you wont go a session without a packet in your box.

Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:08 am

Mick, you have to stop.... Every time you plug one of the new shamrock lines it costs me 50 quid..... :D Looking forward to trying these in the Kilmore Boat MA comp next weekend, order placed with CrabRock.

Incidentally, 50 pollack in an hour and a half off Loop Head..... You must have arms on you like Popeye. We fished a boat comp up there recently aboard Luke Astons boat and after a hard days fishing I was absolutely busted after it.... Winching trebles of large pollack from 80 metres over a period of time would kill a horse. We went over the sand then for a break, wasnt to be, treble shots of monster whiting then instead.... Cracking day out though.

Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:32 pm

my arms were pulled off of me but the club comp was my ticket to the masters, so when theres fish around i fish as quick as i can and put the head down and forget about playing fish just horse them in, the same way on the east coast if we are fishing for animals we are hitting 140 dogs with a mixed bag of tope, ray , huss, and smoothys. in some sessions you can be catching over 160 fish in a hard run and that pull's the arms off of you as thats for 6 hours

Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:37 am

i have to apolagise to all if i have been going on to much about this gear, i just feel passionate about the tackle as its a home brew and it works for me

regards

mick barry