peddle kayak

Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:41 pm

got hobie outback fisher with a peddle system dose any have 1 how do ye find them fishing.were can i find a few good rod holders.and what kind of fish finders do ye use cheers for any info
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:59 am

Marty have one since about last Sept. Find them fine. Take a bit of getting used to. Have only ventured out around the Ringaskiddy area (two of us are using them). Scotty do rod holders try http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com i think. quite easy to install.

Time bit of a problem at the mo but certainly going to give teh bass a good bash over the next few months trolling rapalas and fly fishing also.

Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:49 am

I'd be interested to hear how you get on. I saw a couple of those hobie kayaks down off ballyrisode beach a couple of weeks back and thought the peddle would be just the job for moving and holding the rod. Kayaked/fished off roches point and thoroughly enjoyed it, but wished i could have been slightly more mobile whilst holding the rod.

Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:55 pm

Hi all,

Good to see more yak fishermen. Nice yak there Marty.

These guys do the Scotty range and having dealt with them in the past I would give them top marks for service, and a good alroung range of products.
http://www.outdoorplay.com/store/produc ... D=8&DID=51

To fit them is easy, put the base where you want it bearing in mind that you have to be abile to get at the position inside the yak to tighten the bolts. Mark and drill the four holes add some marine grade silicone to the hole surround, position and bolt up. Kool!
And if you're looking for a more versitile mount try the R.A.M. brand.

All the Best,

FIRST YAK MULLET

Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:17 pm

Took the yak down to east ferry to day to get used to it and try a bit of mullet fishing so peddled pass this boat and saw a few big mullet lurking under it so droped anchor and popped a bit if bread on the hook and float fished it for a hour and notting. so as i went to bring up the anchor wham mullet on he headed up river what a fight on light gear and sitting so close to the water on a peice of plastic some craic i can only dream what a tope must be like

Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:21 pm

thanks for the info lads cheers ordered them rod holders to day from outdoor play

Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:42 pm

Got a Hobie myself, a Revolution Fish model and i find it great. (it's long, 13' 5" which is a bit awkward for lifting/moving, but great on the water) The peddle system works a treat. I've found driftlining a sandeel works really well in bass areas, the very first time I tried it I found a three and half pound bass on the end of my line when I came in that I didn't even know was there. Have got a GPS and a VHF radio for mine but no Fishfinder as yet, maybe you'd fill me in on which one you get and how it works?

Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:58 am

How does the peddle system feel.

It would be nice to have a little more control when holding a rod.But I like using a paddle for the simple fact that the kayak is not going to get away from me if I fall off(Paddle leash).

I use the Eagle cuda fish finder. Easy enough fitted. To be honest I could have done without it. Although it is nice to see your depth.

My essential item for kayak fishing is the drift chute/sea anchor. Keeps you pointed into the winds( and any windblown surf) while slowing down your drift. I prefer it much more than an anchor as it can be used anywhere(Even in very deep water).

Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:25 am

chute sounds like a nice bit of kit, just dont use it in a strong tide or you,ll be dragged about like a rag doll lol.where as a decent anchor will hold you in one position.

all depends on the conditions dosent it? fs if you had gear for the ever changing conditions on this island you,d need a __ barge to carry it all lol.

or a malibu 2 xl :P :P :P and what muppet would buy one of those? :oops:

Chutes and Peddles

Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:10 pm

The peddle system is great, it really shifts the boat through the water, and there's a flip-stow-rudder system too, which works really well. (Mind you, that's two items on your yak that can break). The boat works fine with paddle too. I was along way out in Wexford and a cable came off the peddle system, but came back no bother just with paddle. I got one of those chutes too, but i haven't tried it yet, nice to know it's good. And thanks for info on the fishfinder Anthony, I really just want it to know if I'm over reefs or sand.

Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:32 pm

In that case the Eagle (Cuda I think) is good. It will the make up of the ground as well i.e. bright for sand , dark for rock.

Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:07 pm

Thanks Anthony. And this is pic of my Hobie, cos my descriptions are crappy enough
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:20 pm

Here's my yak

[img]http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/6994/image005qm2.jpg[/img]

Here's a pic from last weekend

[img]http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/1014/pict0005wi9.th.jpg[/img]

Try as I might, I can't get the last photo to work.

Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:28 pm

Lovely boat Anthony. What make and model is it?

Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:45 pm

It's a "heritage redfish angler 12".

They are used alot in the florida flats. I believe it may be the only one in this country though, but i'm not sure.