Postby thescotsman » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:09 pm

People: Me and Geoff

Duration: 18.30-22.00

Tide: High water 18.00ish

Weather: Light ssw, bit of cloud at times

Bait: Mackerel

Rigs: Hokkais, spinners, single hook booms

Results: 12 Pollack, 4 Whiting, 2 LSD, 6 Mackerel, 1 Garfish, 1 Coalfish

Report: Impromptu after work fish - just decided as we were leaving the shop. Spent a while looking for mackerel for bait so missed a bit of the slack, but we anchored up off bouy 6 for a while and picked up some whiting and doggies. One whiting had a huge bit of bait in its mouth, wasn't hooked, just got pulled up because the bait was jammed in its mouth. Have to admire that, so I sent it back down with a smaller bit of mackerel for its troubles.
Drifted harbour rock going up and down in the swell, and got a few pollack mostly around 4lbs, biggest just shy of 6lbs so bigger than of late (for me anyway).
Did a bit of spinning off Carlisle Fort and was amused by a garfish that kept following the lure. He would then shoot off and we'd see him breaking the water elsewhere, then he'd be back follwing the lure. He eventually threw caution to the wind and took it adding to my species tally this year :D. Few pollack and mackerel here as well.
Saw a seal with a big flatfish (bigger than I have ever caught anyway) on the way back in. So I took a gps mark and I'll try that spot some other time - made me wonder if we could train up seals to find good marks??
Lovely moon rise on the way back in as well, but my phone didn't do it justice I'm afraid.
2019 Species (8): Whiting, Coalfish, Dogfish, Bass, Coalfish, Dab, Lesser Spined Sea Scorpion, 5 Bearded Rockling
thescotsman
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 10 times

Return to Archived Boat Angling Reports