New Boat / Skipper - Kincasslagh, Co Donegal

OLd Boat Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

New Boat / Skipper - Kincasslagh, Co Donegal

Postby arthurg » Tue May 29, 2007 1:46 pm

A group of us went out on Pol Maccongail's brand new boat - Caitlin Marie - mid April. Although an experienced boatman, having fished pots with his father for years, Pol is new to the chartering world.

April was too early for us to expect much in the way of fish - to be honest it was seen as a chance to wet the lines after the winter lay-off and also to see what the new boat was like!

8 Adults and a couple of Juniors made the journey from Letterkenny to Kincasslagh which took us under an hour. I have to say that west Donegal is one of the most beautiful parts of the country and the journey there was fantastic.

We tried a few different spots and picked up 8 species including 5 Codling, plenty of reasonable Pollock, Coalies, Ballen & Cuckoo, etc.

Pol has a very short steam to Owey island which offers good shelter and fine Pollock fishing which should please most anglers in just about any weather. There are wrecks and open ground as well so species hunts will give impressive numbers later in the summer.

I would encourage all of you to consider giving the guy a booking if you are heading up this way as it is difficult enough getting established and we need all the skippers we can get around our coast. Even if some of your group are more interested in scenery and wildlife than hauling fish, they will not be disappointed on this trip.

An added bonus when out with Pol is the company of the beautiful Caitlin Marie - not the boat but Pol's fiance. They're a real nice couple and if they can put up with me, Hugo, and the crew I take out and keep on smiling then I'm sure they will look after you too!

Pol can be contacted on 087-987-0266.
arthurg

Postby Tanglerat » Wed May 30, 2007 1:04 pm

Agreed.

I was fortunate enough to be on the first ever charter this boat did, before it was even properly set up to do angling charters. My club, Magheraroarty & the Islands, needed a boat in a hurry and Pol obliged us.

My opinion was it's an impressive set up. I'd love to do some long range trips on that boat.

Pol himself didn't seem fully up to speed to be a charter skipper, but I noticed his eyes everywhere on what we were doing, and he asked me a long of questions. I'd reckon he's a guy on a mission to learn.

All in all, he's a welcome addition to the fleet up round this way. :D
Tanglerat

Have thanks: 381 times

Return to Archived Boat Angling Reports