Tiiger II, Cork Harbour, 23/05/2007

Postby thescotsman » Thu May 24, 2007 1:01 pm

People: Me and Geoff

Duration: 6hrs (3.30pm - 9.30pm)

Tide: low about 5.00

Weather: Calm, very nice later on

Bait:

Rigs: Feathers, hokkais, shad and some shiny metal spinners

Results: 1 red gurnard, 3 whiting, 1 Ballan wrasse, 5 Coalies, 12 Pollack, 2 codling

Report: Strange days fishing really, but nice to be out. Most of the time I was out the tide was very slack even later on, wasn't gettting much movement on the drift, so maybe that accounts for the relatively poor showing.
Couldn't find a mackerel for bait anywhere in the harbour and only caught the gurnard and whiting by accident when I let the feathers hit the bottom whilst I was looking for them. Picked up Geoff later and drifted (very slowly) the harbour rock picking up the cod, coalies and the pollack. Geoff got a nice wrasse on the hokkais, but nothing else to write home about.
On the wildlife front the dolphins are still around and a little seal off Carlisle Fort gave us a bit of amusement as it kept popping up anywhere we threw our spinners in whilst spinning for pollack, so not many fish caught there, but thankfully also no seals.
P.S anybody finds a boat hook floating (assuming they float) around the harbour good possibility it's mine :) lost it picking up Geoff from Currabinny pier. If you run into it in your boat however causing extensive damage, I doubt very much that it's mine.... :shock:
Attachments
Image003 (Small).jpg
Geoff does a Rex Hunt on the Wrasse, but swears no tongues were involved....
Image003 (Small).jpg (40.57 KiB) Viewed 345 times
2019 Species (8): Whiting, Coalfish, Dogfish, Bass, Coalfish, Dab, Lesser Spined Sea Scorpion, 5 Bearded Rockling
thescotsman
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 10 times

Postby petekd » Thu May 24, 2007 1:35 pm

Nice one Lee, Im hoping to get my hull wet on Sunday afternoon weather permitting. Must give you a shout and we'll buddy up sometime in a mini Orkney Flotilla... :D
Fluff chucking is the new black..... Rampant Wreckfish is a fly angler in denial :D
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 114 times

Postby thescotsman » Thu May 24, 2007 2:44 pm

Nice one. Yes we must do that. Won't be this weekend anyway, work, barbecues (yes 3!! this weekend) and wife's birthday will see to that. Not sure what your chances will be on Sunday afternoon anyway as the forecast isn't looking too good at the moment, but given that you can't really trust a forecast here above a day, you might be alright.....
Otherwise some weekend,evening or Wednesday afternoons are good for the inaugral Cork Harbour Orkney Flotilla outing weather, family and work permitting of course. :)
2019 Species (8): Whiting, Coalfish, Dogfish, Bass, Coalfish, Dab, Lesser Spined Sea Scorpion, 5 Bearded Rockling
thescotsman
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 10 times

Postby petekd » Thu May 24, 2007 3:30 pm

Ill bear that in mind and be in touch mate.
Fluff chucking is the new black..... Rampant Wreckfish is a fly angler in denial :D
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 114 times

Return to Archived Boat Angling Reports