SAISAC Boat MA No. 2, Swilly Explorer, Rathmullan, 13/05/07

OLd Boat Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Boat MA Comp 2,Rathmullan, May 13th sponsored by crabrock

Postby jw » Mon May 14, 2007 10:02 am

im just posting a few snaps from the trip here. Full report to be posted shortly. Reasonable days fishing on an excellent boat. Northerly breeze meant a few learnt again why the word nausea is the old greek word for a boat
Attachments
head.jpg
head.jpg (73.04 KiB) Viewed 1048 times
jw
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 83 times

thornie

Postby jw » Mon May 14, 2007 10:08 am

thornie
Attachments
thornie.jpg
thornie.jpg (72.26 KiB) Viewed 1039 times
point.jpg
point.jpg (72.56 KiB) Viewed 1039 times
reds.jpg
reds.jpg (68.8 KiB) Viewed 1039 times
jw
SAI Megalodon!

homeward

Postby jw » Mon May 14, 2007 10:10 am

homeward
Attachments
homeward.jpg
homeward.jpg (68.87 KiB) Viewed 1034 times
mc.jpg
mc.jpg (68.75 KiB) Viewed 1034 times
jw
SAI Megalodon!

Postby MAC » Mon May 14, 2007 11:56 am

Two Nice looking Gurnard there John.... From what I can see, she looks like a very nice boat indeed.

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby paulocallaghan » Mon May 14, 2007 12:09 pm

great pics john, you seemed to be a bit selectve about showing the roughness of the sea as i def remember it beig worse than that
paulocallaghan

Postby JGF » Mon May 14, 2007 12:24 pm

Looks like you lads were out on the Swilly Explorer rather than Enterprise.

Explorer is a great boat for getting through the chop at speed, however most agree Enterprise is a better platform to fish from with lower gunwhales and better deck room. Still if there were a few delicate stomachs aboard Explorer is definitley more comfortable to suffer in silence!

Did you fish the laurentic at all or was it all over the sand / clean ground?

How was Angela yesterday? Spoke to her briefly Saturday evening after they had been to Tory with a very motley crew.......
JGF
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby paulocallaghan » Mon May 14, 2007 1:45 pm

too rough to venture out past the bay, could only fish the sand, very slow fishing but nice to get out all the same
paulocallaghan

Postby stevecrow74 » Mon May 14, 2007 2:22 pm

so go on.. own up.. who lost their breakfasts :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
[url=http://galwaybuccaneerssac.com/]Galway Buccaneers SAC[/url]
[i][color=red]St Juniper once said; 'By his loins shall ye know him, and by the length of his rod shall he be measured.'[/i]
stevecrow74
Scomber Doorman

Have thanks: 58 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby paulocallaghan » Mon May 14, 2007 2:36 pm

just me and pat as far as im aware, although i was on my back in the cabin for most of the day so i could be wrong. Pete was fairly close to it at times but i think he lasted the day (just)
paulocallaghan

Postby pete » Mon May 14, 2007 3:13 pm

So you did a bit of groundbaiting on both days Paul :lol: :lol: :wink:
Sea Species(25) bass, codling, whiting, turbot, seatrout, stingray, pollock, coalfish, longspine scorpion, ballan wrasse, dogfish, ling, pouting, poor cod, dab, mackerel, smelt, sandeel, launce, bull huss, painted ray, thick lip mullet, golden grey mullet, rock goby.
Fresh Water (2) brown trout, sea trout
pete
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 51 times

Postby paulocallaghan » Mon May 14, 2007 3:15 pm

oh ha! ha! ha! arent we just hilarious, i was ready to swim for it at one stage
paulocallaghan

Postby Bradan » Mon May 14, 2007 3:20 pm

Know how you feel Paul, you have my sympathies! Have resolved never to drink Guinness the night before a charter trip again....
I find if you keep fishing - really try to concentrate on what you're doing - its not so bad, you get over it after a cpl of hours, but once you give up on that you're really f****d :(
Its called fishing, not catching. If it was called catching it wouldn't be fishing!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bradan99
Bradan
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 130 times

Postby paulocallaghan » Mon May 14, 2007 3:33 pm

i ALWAYS get sick, can never drink for at least 2 days before hand and start taking tablets about 2 days before too. if you are concentrating on something it always makes me worse. i think the main culpret yesterday was the fact that i for got my waterproof pants and so was using my waders and there was a cold breeze so i wore a woolly had and just over heated. i could have started fishing again earlier but just lost interest at that point. for the record only 2 fish were caught while i was active and i was out for the count during the busy period
paulocallaghan

Postby MC » Mon May 14, 2007 7:16 pm

i enjoyed the day out and was surprised to win and i wish to thank yappo for the loan of the pfd and to donal for the lucky hook
MC
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 383 times

Postby yappo » Mon May 14, 2007 9:03 pm

You are welcome MC anytime and well done on your win :lol: :lol:
Paul thankfully I am a "casual puker" and it's all over in a couple of minutes and I can carry on but it still made no difference to my result 2nd last I think. :oops: :cry:

Nice meeting you all again roll on Carrigaholt :lol:

Yappo
Sunny SouthWest
yappo
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 70 times

SAISAC Boat MA No. 2, Swilly Explorer, Rathmullan, 13/05/07

Postby petekd » Tue May 15, 2007 9:05 am

People:Myself, JW, Donal Domeney, MC, Yappo, Paul O'Callaghan, Marco.

Duration:9.30-5.00

Tide:Lumpy seas with nasty short swells.

Weather: Fine

Bait:Mack, Rag, Lug, Herring, Squid

Rigs:Various

Results:
Red gurnard, Grey Gurnard, Whiting, Thornback ray, Dabs
Report:

Following on from here http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bull ... hp?t=11233
It was with some trepidation and with a degree of unwillingness that I arrived to Rathmullan with the peak of the cap pulled well down and the shades on in more than a little disrepair..... Conditions had changed overnight and we were going to have to deal with a stiff Northerly wind that was howling down the Lough.

The 7 of us boarded the Swilly Explorer, a fine 42' Interceptor that was in superb condition and a credit to her owners to join Angela Crerand and the skipper whose name escapes me. I could feel my stomach turning walking down the floating pontoon....it was going to be a long day! Despite some excellent fishing the day before for the boat, it was clear once we got up near (in :D ) Famous Dunree where the recent shore MA was held that conditions were going to prevent us from fishing the majority of good marks available. We made the traditional Mackerel stop about 2 miles south of the mouth of the lough and in very lumpy seas attempted to gather up some fresh bait. After the best part of an hour of fairly fruitless searching, we reached for the frozen stuff and began the comp in earnest. All we were fit to do given conditions were drift the clean sand and shingle in hope of gurnards and other bottom dwelling species.

Fishing was very slow with odd little bits and pieces coming on occasion, some beautiful red gurnard coming to the boat along with greys and a couple of whiting for Marco. Some fine dabs well over a pound also came in and it was nice to see them, I havent had a dab in over a year! Spare a thought for Paul who after maybe an hour or so was in no fit condition to continue and had to retire to the cabin not to reappear for several hours. Following several too many pints and a serious shortage of sleep the night before, I wasn't feeling too good myself but keeping the layers off and fishing in a tshirt in the howling wind kept me from losing my brekkie.... :D Pat wasnt in the best of states either but came round fairly quickly all the same.

After several hours of this and with very little to choose between anybody with only 3 or 4 counting fish a man we upped and moved back inside the lough and anchored up to try for Rays, LSDs and dabs for the final hour or so of the comp. MC managed to pull out 2 nice ray which ensured he took top spot in his first boat outing, JW had one himself which put him into second and myself and Marco had a nice dab apiece. On the day that was in it with the fishing being very slow, it was anybodys game and between 4th and first there was only 1 fish in it.

Well done to all who ventured out, Paul reappeared to a large degree of abuse and slagging once we had moved into the calm waters but was unfortunately unable to get a counting fish on the board. Much discussion about his sickness followed with little sympathy being shown :D . Quote of the day was his response to Diamond Domeneys constant barrage of abuse " Donal, for you, sympathy sits in the dictionary somewhere between sickness and syphilis...." :D :lol:

We anchored up for the last hour at a tope mark to see if we could get a run but unfortunately not.

I was glad to hit dry land, feeling a little ropey had meant that I had been unable to eat or drink after the first hour so the Drive through KFC didnt know what hit it when I rolled in!

Well done all again for sticking out some nasty conditions, results were as follows..

1st MC 100%
2nd JW 94%
3rd Marco 78%
4th Petekd 76%
5th Donal Domeney 46%
6th Yappo 36%

P. O'C. failed to score.

Many thanks to http://www.Crabrock.com for sponsoring our MA once again with a nice Shimano rod going to the winner MC. Well done lads.
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 114 times

Postby MC » Tue May 15, 2007 10:28 am

was feeling rough myself every time i knelt on the deck to cut bait, unable to focus with the bad eye i was a bit dizzy at times, and sorry Pete for upsetting the stomach when i wiped the eye. Thanks to yappo for the pfd and Donal for the lucky hook, still surprised that i won, thanks to all for a great day out
MC
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 383 times

Postby chrisfeeney30 » Tue May 15, 2007 3:01 pm

nice red gurnards! well done! last time i was on a boat(last year) i got pretty sick!! i no how ya feel paulocallaghan!
Galway Bay S.A.C member 2012
chrisfeeney30
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 5 times

Postby coaster » Wed May 16, 2007 9:21 pm

paulocallaghan wrote: i think the main culpret yesterday was the fact that i for got my waterproof pants and so was using my waders and there was a cold breeze so i wore a woolly had and just over heated.

I feel for anybody who is sick on a boat as I have been in the past but that is the first time I have heard that one. :lol: :lol:
coaster
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Conor H » Thu May 24, 2007 1:26 pm

Same here, I'm an occasional puker, and it's the worst feeling ever - it amazes me that so many people, who know what it feels like , are quick to take the mick of the "bokee" (is that a word ?) ! The taking of the mick just adds to the misery. Saying that revenge is sweet !

Plenty of ginger (cookies, root, ale) and sea bands does the trick.
Try not to think of being sick beforehand i.e. worry in advance that it's gonna happen - I think that's one major problem.
Concentrating on untangling tangles and tying fancy knots etc. doesn't help either. If I get in a tangle, the knife come out and the tangle is placed in a bucket for later.

That aside, sounds like you had a decent trip.
-----------------------------
Cheers

Conor
<)))))><
-----------------------------
Conor H
SAI Sea Dog!

Next

Return to Archived Boat Angling Reports