Bonito, Downings, 05/05/2007

OLd Boat Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Bonito, Downings, 05/05/2007

Postby Conor H » Tue May 08, 2007 1:17 pm

People: David H, Damien H, Cassie, Raymond, Johnny,Gerry Mac, Gerry H, Malachy, David K, Myself

Duration: 9.30 - 4.30

Tide: All over the place - strange tide

Weather: Started sunny, became overcast, ended up wet and windy

Bait: Ragworm, fresh mackerel, firetails

Rigs: hokkais, sabikis, killer rigs, flying collar, conger

Results: A lot of pollock to 5lb 6oz , good ballan wrasse, 1 cuckoo wrasse, launce, mackerel, coalies (squillions of them !)

Report: This was our first trip of the year, and our first with Trevor Ryder on the Bonito. It was also the first time I'd managed a full crew - we ended up with 2 too many and it was a bit crowded and led to a few tangles.

Fishing started slow in deeper water off Tory, and most fish fell to hokkais hard on the bottom. We moved inshore and started chucking firetails with good results. Cassie and Raymond produced 3 bags of fresh rag (from the Shore Rd) and immediately better fish started to appear.

With Johhnny giving steady reports of the Man U / Man City derby, we continued mixed ground fishing, all producing a steady catch of pollock with occasional wrasse and coalies. Then we hit a plague of young coalies and moved over to the anvil and anchored up for the remainder of the day.

All in all a good days fishing considering the weather, drift and time of year. Looking forward to the next trip at the start of June when the weather will hopefully be more favourable.

That aside, before we launched, Damien H (my da) cooked 48 cumberland sausages , a bag of vegetable roll and a load of bacon - so hunger was never an issue ! Well done chef - your camp stove is the business !! :D

...... and myself and David H won 12 euro on scratch cards on the way home, and I got a Football Special (Buckfast for babies .. puts them mental !!)
Conor H
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby pete » Thu May 10, 2007 3:39 pm

Good work with the McDaid's Football Special Conor! Proper 'soft drink' :lol:
Sea Species(25) bass, codling, whiting, turbot, seatrout, stingray, pollock, coalfish, longspine scorpion, ballan wrasse, dogfish, ling, pouting, poor cod, dab, mackerel, smelt, sandeel, launce, bull huss, painted ray, thick lip mullet, golden grey mullet, rock goby.
Fresh Water (2) brown trout, sea trout
pete
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 51 times

Postby Conor H » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:10 pm

Out again with Trevor yesterday.

People: David H, Damien H, Cassie, Raymond, Johnny, Liam, Malachy, David K, Myself

Duration: 9.30 - 5.00
Tide: Slack - very little movement and slow drifting
Weather: Sunny and warm, pretty much no wind and thankfully a bit of haze to block out the sun

Bait: Ragworm, fresh mackerel

Rigs: hokkais, sabikis, killer rigs, flying collar, leadheads and pirks, eddystones and other soft plastics.

Results: Pollock to 8lb 6oz , coalies , dogs, turbot, dab, thornbacks, pouting, red gurnard and grey gurnard

Report: Started out over the Audacious after picking up a few bait mackerel. Fishing was good with a few decent pollock and a lot of coalies. After 2 hours we moved inshore a bit for some clean ground drifts with produced very little as there was no drift as such.

So we headed in towards Mulroy and did some flattie fishing. Rag was used for a while with no real results and most fish coming to mackerel strips on spoons and flattie rigs.

All in all another good day out with Trevor. A few fillets for the pan and plenty of banter and sunburn !
-----------------------------
Cheers

Conor
<)))))><
Conor H
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby petekd » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:21 pm

That Cassie fella behave himself?? Not heard from Paul in a long while, tell him I said hello will you. Well done on a good days fishing.
Fluff chucking is the new black..... Rampant Wreckfish is a fly angler in denial :D
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 114 times

Postby Conor H » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:57 am

He is indeed Pete, I'll pass it on !
Cheers

Conor
<)))))><
Conor H
SAI Sea Dog!