SAI Comp, Kilmore Quay 09/04/2007

OLd Boat Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

SAI Comp, Kilmore Quay 09/04/2007

Postby petekd » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:04 pm

A decent enough day in super conditions, sunburn all round..... Too tired to post the usual 20 minute read so this will have to do.

Present were on Karen Anne.. Petekd, Scotsman, Paul O'Callaghan, Mr. Green and JW. On the Sailfish were JD, Donal Domeney, Ferg and Pat Murray.

Fish caught were 51 coalies, 43 cod, 4 ling, 20 pollack, 55 Ballan Wrasse, 7 Cuckoo wrasse and 5 Pouting. We had numerous undersize fish too.

Results were:

1st Place:- Petekd, 31 fish and 282 points
2nd Place:- Donal Domeney, 30 fish and 259 points
3rd Place:- Paul O'Callaghan, 24 fish and 220 points

Delighted with the win to open the Boat account for the year and the first comp win in any discipline for the year too. Some nice bags of goodies there too as prizes. Many thanks to http://www.crabrock.com for their sponsorship and generosity. Rag and plenty of it was king on the day with a 3 hook boom rig cleaning up in the latter stages for me. Mixing rag and mack as a cocktail picked up the small ling and pout too.
Fluff chucking is the new black..... Rampant Wreckfish is a fly angler in denial :D
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 114 times

Postby jd » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:53 pm

Enjoyed the day though I fished poorly with way too many dropped fish :(
I don't know why I didn't use the uptide rod as usual in Kilmore- I wil;l the next time.

Specimen sizes Ballan wrasse (was above 5lb ) was a consolation- she swam off happily.
Attachments
Wrasse_Kilmore_Quay.jpg
Wrasse Kilmore
Wrasse_Kilmore_Quay.jpg (68.95 KiB) Viewed 1163 times
jd
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 526 times
Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby petekd » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:06 pm

I had fun with the 10lb class abu I won for the MA last year, teamed up really nicely with a small Shimano Speedmaster reel loaded with braid. Perfect for that kind of fishing.

Thats some pig you had there John, a fine fish indeed :D . I dropped a lot of fish early on too with the finer wire hooks I had on the Gilling gear bending out and the hooks on the Hiro rigs also bending too... :shock: Not good when tackling strong fighters like wrasse and pollack. Ill be stepping up a grade next trip up there.
Fluff chucking is the new black..... Rampant Wreckfish is a fly angler in denial :D
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 114 times

Postby donal domeney » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:46 pm

Great day. Sun, Sea and Slagging
donal domeney
Head of International Security and Bringer of World Peace

Have thanks: 1248 times

Postby Mr_Green » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:23 am

yeah ..i thorouhly enjoyed my second ever boat outing...and i held my own with 22 fish... with 1 cod over 50 (barely) and loads of wrasse...first pout of the year and first ever cuckoo wrasse..some lovely marking on these fish!! had great craic on the boat and always good to put faces to names...p.s thanks to the scotsman for lending me some hokais..i left mine in the gaff as i rushed out a bit late... nice 1 lads
Mr_Green

Postby yappo » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:25 am

Great day good to put faces to the names on here. Looking forward to the next one. :lol: :lol:

Yappo
Sunny SouthWest
yappo
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 70 times

Postby thescotsman » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:40 pm

Yep, nice one lads. Great day, good bunch of lads and some nice fish. Thanks again to Pete for the driving.
Mr Green, anytime time on the Hokkais, although the rate I was going through tackle I though I was going to have to ask for them back!
Thanks to JD for organising it as well. I'm definitely on for the next one (especially now Pete has roadmapped my way into the Irish team for me!) Just imagine the Irish team in kilts 8)
2019 Species (8): Whiting, Coalfish, Dogfish, Bass, Coalfish, Dab, Lesser Spined Sea Scorpion, 5 Bearded Rockling
thescotsman
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 10 times

Postby jd » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:24 pm

I have oved some posts to the SAC private board.
jd
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 526 times
Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby Mohawk » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:36 pm

petekd wrote: but arent licensed charter skippers required to carry life jackets for all crew? If thats the case and surely IFSA run competitions would ONLY use licensed charters, why would they bother having that as a rule?

Can I put this myth some anglers have to rest :wink:

An Angler is not one of the "crew" he or she is a "passenger" on the licensed "passenger boat".

It is up to the passenger to supply their own "P.F.D" if they feel the need or if competition rules require them to wear one.

Licensed Passenger Boats over 7m only carry "life Jackets" that are issued to passengers only in the event that the boat may need to be abandoned unless otherwise stipulated by the licensing conditions.

Passenger boat life jackets are "SOLAS" approved (similar to old Board of Trade type May West ) and are suitable for one purpose only that of abandoning ship. SOLAS life jackets are the equivalent of wearing a bale of hay around your neck. You must tie one of these so tight for it to work you will not last more than an hour on a boat with one on. You would also look like the star of a Carry On film (Carry On Angler ?) :lol: :lol:

Have a look at this link this is what all licensed boats over 7M carry:

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/mse4/pfdisolas.htm

Jim
“Travel, Stay, Fish & Play”
Mohawk
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 6 times

Postby toaddi33 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:09 pm

that is a cracking wrasse! well done! :D
toaddi33
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Marco » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:18 am

Nice fishing lads. Congrats on the victory Pete. Still sick I couln't make this one.
SAI SAC
FISH - an animal that grows the fastest between the time it’s caught and the time the fisherman describes it to his friends.
Marco
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 56 times

Postby jw » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:38 pm

petes box
Attachments
sailfish.jpg
sailfish.jpg (41.9 KiB) Viewed 811 times
pete.jpg
pete.jpg (52.46 KiB) Viewed 811 times
jw
SAI Megalodon!