Portrush 14/08/04

Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:59 am

fished causeway bank first ,feathered for bait plenty of sandeels couple of mackrel ,went on to bottom to try for turbot and plaice ,ended up with one small plaice about 1lb ,tortured by gurnard red and greys ,whiting and few codling up to 2lb.
when tide slackened of we went out to the causeway face ,this is an under water cliff that drops from 140 feet to 360+ feet in the space of 10m fished of top dropping flowing trace baited with mackrel fillet down front of cliff ,picked up pollack to 9lb and ling around the same .
on way back to port stopped of at the back of the skerries islands to try for wrasse only one 2lb ballan over side of boat loads of small pollack .

Your Report

Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:53 pm

Hi there, You are not talking about Rush in Dublin are you? When you speak of the skerries islands? Is the area you speak of the 'Lambay Deep'? tell me more... :idea:

Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:23 am

hi luke was fishing portrush on the north coast ,causeway bank is 6 miles east of portrush ,the causeway face is two miles north of the giants causeway .
the face normally fishes really well at this time of year for big pollack up to near speicimen weight good possibility of bigger fish ,good ling ,only problem is the tide can be fierce so you only get a max of two hrs fishing in any session .

Boat fishing

Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:28 pm

Are you a small boat man or were you fishing a charter?

Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:11 pm

using friends orkney 19 . find theres more freedom to explore inshore marks ,charter boats tend to stick to same old spots that are easy to fish ,and most boats out of portrush would rather fish for turbot and plaice than try for other species .

fishing

Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:25 pm

Big difference between getting those fish yourself and having the work done for you too. Much more satisfying. Do you fish out of that area all the time or do you tow the boat around? I am moored on the river Liffey. Fishing is awful down here for the most part :cry: . Makes getting those fish even more special!

Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:06 pm

mostly fish north coast out of portrush plenty of mixed fishing so you can target different species depending on weather and tide ,the boat is generally towed about and launched only stays at moorings in bangor marina around june time when the herring are about and we,re collecting bait for freezer. red bay is a good spot to fish as well for good blonde ray and turbot to specimen size .

tips

Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:00 pm

Do you have an E-mail address? I have a few tips for you that I would prefer not to post up here. :wink:

Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:56 pm

cheers luke any tips gratefully received ,my e-mail address is rj1surgenor@btopenworld.com .