screeming reels dunmore 24th, East wind Blues!!!!

OLd Boat Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

screeming reels dunmore 24th, East wind Blues!!!!

Postby screeming reels » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:26 pm

People:seirt ,nevskib, myself

Duration:8 hours

Tide:high to low, plus a bit of flood

Weather:lovely ( except for the nagging easterly breeze)

Bait:Black lug, rag,mussle,mackeral,sandeel,crab,razor.

Rigs:gilling,pirk,flowing traces,pennels,feathers etc

Results:codling (small to 1.5lb ) x10, 3 pollock to 4lbs, lots of ballans,cuckoo wrasse, pouting, whiting to 1lb,1x ling 7lb, dogs

Report:fantastic weather, so had to go out, despite the fact there was east in the wind, and everything was saying " stay onshore and don't waste your time"!!!!!
Wasn't disappointed either, a very poor day out, hit a number of wrecks, and though plenty of fish showing, and despite the array of baits and lures used we only scratched out a few fish.
Many of the wrecks, Particularly the Anotony are covered in nets, they appear to be old ones as we had bits stuck to our hooks on many occasions.
decided to head into the 3 mile rock for a little sport with the wrasse, and wasn't disappointed, plenty around with a few small pollock and pouting thrown in.
Decided to do something different of the hook head,we anchored the boat and went for the cod, by uptiding and downtiding.
It worked very well, with good results considering the crap day we had had so far.
Most fish came to the uptided pennels , baited with Black lug, and mussel, surprisingly no interest in crab!
So, all in all, not to bad, but i have to say, even if its a lovely day,and there is East in the wind, I will stay at home and mow the lawn!
Does Anybody else have views on the east wind debate?? is it folk-law, or have you too experienced bad results consistently when its an Easterly
screeming reels
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 82 times

Re: screeming reels dunmore 24th, East wind Blues!!!!

Postby lazycod » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:37 am

screeming reels wrote:[b]
So, all in all, not to bad, but i have to say, even if its a lovely day,and there is East in the wind, I will stay at home and mow the lawn!
Does Anybody else have views on the east wind debate?? is it folk-law, or have you too experienced bad results consistently when its an Easterly

Wind from the east fish bite least :shock: I was a guest aboard the Triton explorer out of Ardglass on sunday with the Mariner SAC Cracking boat , http://www.tritonexplorer.com/
blue sky's but as you say a very strong easterly we fished from 10am til 3pm and give up, 2 coalies 1 pollack and a small cod the skipper tried his heart out to get us fish but he did warn us before we went out that the fishing wouldn't be good because of the easterly
lazycod

Postby jw » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:22 pm

i'm a bit suspicious of such a general theory without any obvious explanation of how it might work. I can see for beach fishing how an onshore breeze might be needed to produce the surf. Also strong north westerly winds always produce mackerel shoals on the rock marks in west clare due to the surface drift phenomenon.

How is any wind direction going to affect deep sea angling? Also, if a fish swims from the west coast to the east, is he going to change preference from onshore to offshore? what will he do on the south coast?
jw
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 83 times

Postby Mohawk » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:48 pm

lazycod wrote:
screeming reels wrote:[b]

Wind from the east fish bite least :shock:
the skipper tried his heart out to get us fish but he did warn us before we went out that the fishing wouldn't be good because of the easterly

That is correct, an easterly wind is a disaster for fishing, even the commercial boats here on the south coast get poor results in an easterly. Although this may not be the case off the west coast as the wind is off the land.

Jim
“Travel, Stay, Fish & Play”
Mohawk
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 6 times

Postby paulocallaghan » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:15 pm

the east coast fishs well from the shore at least on an easterly, i think this is cos the surf brings the fish on the feed, dont no how the boats are affected
paulocallaghan

Postby lumpy » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:15 pm

i wonder does it have an effect on air and athmospheric pressure. we know that large land masses can have an effect on air pressure through the heat generated off the land effecting air temperature and thus convection currents.could it possible happen that on the east coast regardless of east or west winds it is still coning from a large land mass (britain or mainland ireland) where as on the sout coast an easterly wind is coming from a large land mass, mainland europe where as a westerly wind is coming from the ocean and this may not cause a change in athmospheric conditions
shore species 2008(25):dogfish(3.1lbs), bull huss (12lb 2oz), bass, shore rockling, coalie, whiting, pollack, conger (22.4lbs),flounder, thick lipped mullet (4.8lbs),turbot,ling (11.2lbs),ballan wrasse(4.5lbs), cuckoo wrasse, pouting, poor cod, cod (9.5lbs), dab, 3 bearded rockling, long spined scorpion fish, corkwing wrasse, plaice, trigger fish, sea trout, garfish

regards neil
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 17 times

Postby screeming reels » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:10 pm

Well, was Out again yesterday, and with the same results !! only a few small coalfish and pollock to show.
I lived in suffolk for 20 years and cut my teeth fishing from the beach, and yes the east wind ruined fishing for most species except the BIG cod, ( which have all but gone from the north sea)
I Have been stubbornly trying to disprove the "wind from the east, fish bite least "theory for years, and still the fishing with an east wind is C...P!!!!!! I don't know why i continue to put to sea in an eastery!!
As to what causes it, well the only theory i can put forward is that the east wind cause ( of the south coast ) the water to clear considerably, now if that means food takes to the rocks, knowing if it ventures out its going to get spotted easier , goodness knows.
Several other charter boats were out that day, with similar results, all complaining about how poor the fishing is. I might just add , this is just not a Spring Phenomenon.
You can see from the beach site reports that even CORTEZ had a BLANK!!! Proof indeed that it is bad at present!!!
Roll on the south westerlies and the arrival of the mackerel bait.
screeming reels
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby jw » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:54 am

Mohawk wrote:That is correct, an easterly wind is a disaster for fishing, even the commercial boats here on the south coast get poor results in an easterly. Although this may not be the case off the west coast as the wind is off the land.
Jim

http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bull ... hp?t=10535
jw
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 83 times

Postby petekd » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:01 am

Moon rise coinciding with Sunset JW......data distorted :wink:
Fluff chucking is the new black..... Rampant Wreckfish is a fly angler in denial :D
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 114 times

Postby Mohawk » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:11 am

jw wrote:
Mohawk wrote:That is correct, an easterly wind is a disaster for fishing, even the commercial boats here on the south coast get poor results in an easterly. Although this may not be the case off the west coast as the wind is off the land.
Jim

http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bull ... hp?t=10535

What's your point?

The wind was northerly here yesterday sun splitting the stones like a summers day :wink:

Jim
“Travel, Stay, Fish & Play”
Mohawk
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 6 times

Postby screeming reels » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:44 pm

well,
4 keen anglers are going to try and disprove the theory again tomorrow, will post results, theres still a bit of east in the forecast! prehaps the ( goose laying moon , as mentioned on rte1 this morning) will bring a bit of luck!!
screeming reels
SAI Sea Dog!

Return to Archived Boat Angling Reports