Ballycastle 14-Aug-04

OLd Boat Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Ballycastle 14-Aug-04

Postby dtmcc » Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:08 pm

Had it all put together, with six others, to fish out of here for the day’s fishing over the reefs then clean and to end on the conger, on the boat Torr Head, skippered by Paul, as seen on “Big Six”

Just as I was about to leave home here, I decided to make the call to Paul, just to check all OK, with it being Friday the 13th!!!!!!! NO! sorry blown turbo last Monday. :twisted:

Quick phone call to Bobby and Noel, just to fill them in, Bobby told me to check with the other skippers working out of Ballycastle, when I finally got to talk to Christopher MC Caughan “skipper / owner of Lord Moyle” he confirmed that all he had was a 7pm sailing from the pier the rest being booked out.
After more mad phone calls to the rest, it was decided that we should go with Christopher, as it was better than staying at home, we would all meet at 3pm in the main car park to do some shore fishing first, it was some thing to do with having too much bait defrosted. :wink:

So the plan is reset and as agreed we meet on the day at the pier, as I was a day ahead off the other three, yes 3 had to drop out, I was able to fish all morning and had only got small wrasse, when the tide turned, it just went blank. :oops:

Where now! Ballintoy, is that OK with you lot, Yes, lets go, day-light-a-wasting.
Couple more fish for the day ashore, got the belly filled ready for the trip.

By 7:15 we were leaving the pier behind with a party off others, “beggars can’t be choicer’s”
First mark, was one mile from sheep island, all hands quickly into a few fish, mackerel, then the fun for us began, off with the jigs and on with a following trace with 6/0 – 8/0 hooks and 12oz leads to get down past the mackerel into 165 feet of water. 10 – 15 minutes had past when Bobby said in a low voice, f##king stones got me?? No way Bobby, its sand here on the port side came a reply, hang on, my stone is shaking its head.
After a five minute fight with his “stone” up came one nice 15-20lb spur dog, then James landed one of about the same, Noel landed a brace of whiting, he had changed back to the jigs for some unknown reason, as for me…….1 L.S.D fish. and after cursing at my luck Noel said “give us a hand here” he had a 20-25 spur dog on a hockeye type trace, I went over to him, Noel what the hell are you playing at? Shut-up and get that fish in, as I bent over the stern to tail it, the line broke, never mind Noel, that’s one more than I got. Got a nice answer to that.
As for the other party, they just could not catch fish, including the mackerel, just too deep of water, at this point we were told that we were moving back towards Ballycastle, so on the way back, another 30 minute steam Christopher knocked the boat out of gear and lines down again, still using 8/0 hooks etc. with-in a mater of minutes James shouted I got a good one here “again” which this time was a nice 7lb cod, out of the corner of my eye I seen my rod bend over:…. my turn, here we go, took about 10 minutes to land my fish 25-30lb spur dog on a 20lb rod “nice one” photo taken, which I hate (HATE)!!!! its good to say that twice, and no I ain’t showing it.
:evil: :x :arrow:

On the way into dock, I discovered that both Bobby and James lost two more spurs each at the top of the water as they were holding the bait and hadn’t been hooked and I forget what else Noel got, as for myself, about 33 fish in total, whiting, scad, coalies, pollock and mackerel.

All in all, it was a good night, all things considered, change of boats.

Could I recommend “Torr Head charters” well I am still waiting for Paul to phone me and say the boat is broken, I will find out more and do a report.

Lord Moyle , Christopher MC Caughan, at £10 a head for a night, you decide, as for us we will be booking Chris for a day’s fishing soon.
:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Founder Member
Kilkeel SAC

Don't need it! Put it back alive
dtmcc
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Conor H » Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:01 pm

change of heart there then !!
-----------------------------
Cheers

Conor
<)))))><
Conor H
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby dtmcc » Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:04 pm

what did your bro, say about fihing with him?? I ain't going to repeat it here.

Any-way! it was better than a poke in the eye :cry:

That polock you are holding, it's about the same size of coalie I got the next morning off pan rocks at my max casting range, towards the pier.
I also lost three more before the tide picked up and I could not hold bottom.
Founder Member
Kilkeel SAC

Don't need it! Put it back alive
dtmcc
SAI Bait Ball

Postby Conor H » Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:01 pm

Bitchy !! David said nothing more than you told us !! It was you who advised us to steer clear if I'm not mistaken !!

Anyway, enjoy your max distance casting !! :!: :?:

Fair play to you with your coalie, you must have been really chuffed ! :lol:
Cheers

Conor
<)))))><
Conor H
SAI Sea Dog!

Return to Archived Boat Angling Reports