Co. Clare - Last week of July 04

Old Shore Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Moderators: donal domeney, saltydog

Co. Clare - Last week of July 04

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:28 pm

On a family holiday to Lahinch so I was restricted to short plugging/spinning sessions, I had hoped to get in one or two longer sessions of surf fishing at Lahinch but it wasn't to be as the kids were sick for the whole week, but that's life.

Mon 26th:
Doolin:
Went plugging from the rocks north of Doolin Pier, started off at the carpark end and worked my way around from there, It was at full tide and conditions were choppy. Wasn't able to cast very far due to the wind and weight of the lure (small blue Rapalla shallow diver) but wasn't concerned as I was hoping for a bass close to the rocks. I got a take near the first point and was surprised that it was actually a Ballen at about a pound and a half, Is it unusual to catch a Ballen with a lure :?:

Tues 27th:
Ballyreen:Spent an hour spinning with Hokkais, got a tip from one of the Aran Island ferry skippers the day before that Ballyreen was a good place for Pollock (Not mentioned in the mark description). Anyway I blanked.
In the afternoon I was down in Spanish Point, went spinning along the rocks to the north, extremely foul ground here and lost the rig on one of the first casts, anyway I worked my way around to the point under the pitch and putt course, there was a lot of weed here but I reckon this could be a good spot to do a bit of float fishing, unfortunately I didn't have the time.

Wed 28th:
Went to Kilkee for the afternoon as it was warm and sunny, got talking to two guys outside the sea angling club at the pier, they told me that bottom fishing/spinning from the rocks west of the pier was a waste of tackle, float fishing is the only real option and even then the fishing is very poor. They advised me to go to Dunlickey and said "You're guaranteed fish there", They weren’t wrong.
Dunlickey: There’s good parking at this mark and you don’t have to walk far, it’s easier to access than suggested in the shore mark info. It’s the most dramatic mark you will probably ever fish, the cliff is mentioned in the shore mark info as being 30m high but it seemed to be a lot higher to me. It’s definitely not a place to be on a windy day, a life jacket won’t do you much good here unless you have a matching parachute. The biggest problem with this mark is actually reeling in the fish or in this case reeling up the fish, You will need at least a 12 foot rod to keep everything clear of the cliff face on the way up plus you don’t want to have to stand too close to the edge. For weight you will need a 6oz to get to the bottom anything smaller gets pulled into the cliff and gets snagged.
The trick at this mark is to cast out from the cliff, count to 15 from when the lead hits the water and start to retrieve. I stopped fishing after catching 7 mackerel which took about an hour. Another guy had caught two Pollock around 3 lbs earlier. I reckon this would be a great place to try a lead head with a jelly worm or Mackerel strip, but a very strong rod and reel would be required, a 12ft version of a boat rod would be ideal.

Unfortunately I didn’t get a chance to use the Mackeral as bait due to the second young one being sick, but at least I have a supply in the freeze now.

Postby Adrian » Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:29 pm

Sorry, that was me I thought I was logged in.
Adrian

Re: Co. Clare - Last week of July 04

Postby Tim » Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:01 pm

Dunlickey: It’s definitely not a place to be on a windy day, a life jacket won’t do you much good here unless you have a matching parachute.
Adrians Quote above - How very true :lol: :lol:

If you can get down to the left, between the land and an island, I'm reliably informed the local fishermen have found some monster Congers in their lobster pots. They probably get fat on all the damaged mackerel that get hooked, flip off halfway up, hit the cliff and get back to the sea ready prepared for a nice snack. As well as being a good deep mark it is rich with freshly deceased mackerel. You never seem to land as many as you hook. An experience not to be missed.

Tim
Tim
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

Dunlickey

Postby Clam » Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:58 pm

I fish there from time to time the left han d side seems to be the best side.
That part of Clare has great rock angling potential if you fish that mark on a calm winters day you could be surprised what you might catch I heard of Cod being caught from time to time.
The local Angling clubs really have the cream of Irish sea angling venues never mind the tiddlywink fishing with size 6 hooks for under size whiting dabs and other small fish.
Have a winter league in the Shannon Estuary or beaches in Clare and you will be shocked by the size of the treble whiting coalies dab etc you could land.
I heard the Shannon Town Angling club produced some good fishing over the weekend with StingRay Thornbacks Conger Huss Dogs Pollock Mullet and Rockling.
I might join their club as I heard some good reports about their competitions.
Has anyone fished with them.
Clam

Postby Donagh » Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:12 am

Hi,

I fish with Shannon town AC but only joined this year. PM me if you want information but Neilus on this forum has left his email address under the carrigaholt topic and is in it longer.

Dunlickey is by far and away the best known mackerel bashing spot around but this does mean that you might get a belt of a lead fishing it. If you don't have a head for heights you could move on to the bridges of ross which is the loop head side of it.

Donagh
Donagh
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 27 times

Postby Adrian » Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:44 am

Donagh,

Is the Bridges of Ross right beside Dunlickey or further down the coast?
Adrian

Postby Donagh » Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:47 am

Hi Adrian,

Its further down the coast. Its marked up on the Discovery map. Theres a car park at a small cove where you can walk out to the rocks and another mark where you park on the road side before this.

Donagh
Donagh
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Adrian » Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:58 am

Donagh,

I did a search, seems like a good mark, Trigger fish have been caught here in the past:

http://www.shannon-fishery-board.ie/gui ... ofross.htm

Did you ever get around to trying for them?
Adrian

Postby Donagh » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:33 am

Hi Adrian,

No I haven't but I understand from now on is the time to start trying. Anyone interested in this PM me. I'd be careful of the shannon FB site as some of the mark describtions are based on anchient history or just plain wrong. An expanded list of marks is available here which are from the same out of date source is here:

http://www.shannonregiontourism.ie/deta ... erID=13650

Donagh
Donagh
SAI Megalodon!

Return to Archived Shore Angling Reports