Sea Head-Dingle Sat 24 July

Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:26 pm

Dave B and I made the long drive-140 miles to Dingle. After the b~#'##~# climb up and down slea head , we set about some serious pollock and wrasse fishing. Fished from 9 - 5 pm, high tide at 10 am, slightly less than ideal.
2 Large trawlers working just off the head, seemd to murder any chance at mackerel, 2 solitary macks in the whole day.
In the first 20 mins, we landed a dozen pollock aroung the 3 pound mark, almost identical in size and colour. We assumed it was a shoal of smaller fish.All taken on german sprats.
Then as the tide fell away, better fish hit the lures. Daves best fish, biggest of the afternoon, a shade over 7.5 pounds.Im sure he had an eye on the shore prize for July, so how he chortled when his camera proved to have no batteries. Strangely, we had a huge number of plucks and pulls, very cautious takes indeed. Missed loads of fish, strange to think a pollock can pluck at a german sprat and not impale itself on the flying treble
We then switched to float fishing hard backed crabs for wrasse, and again lots of missed bites. Dave incurred a rod violation fine for throwing his rod in disgust like a girl after his missed the 10th bite in a row. The wrasse were keen, but kept removing the crab from the hook with a great ability to avoid the barb. In the end, after our 30 crabs were exhausted, we had landed 2 x3 pounders, not big fish at all for dingle. Fun never the less.
Then we switched to conger fishing, and finally admitted defeat. Not a bite.
Total days fishing= 26 pollock , 2 mackerel and 2 wrasse. Nice day out, but Dingle on a great day is outstanding.
Slea head, climb it, fish it.
Kev

Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:21 pm

Nice Report Kev. I am thinking of heading that direction in a couple of week for some Bass fishing with plugs over broken ground. I would like to get a good pollock session in as well so I'll keep this report in mind.

Cheers

Kev

Bass in Dingle on the plug

Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:40 pm

Hi Mac
If youre in Dingle, pay a dawn visit to the rocky entrance to the estuary at trabeg. Great plug fishing for bass. Blue and silver rapala j13 worked great here in the past. Alternatively, drop to a 18g silver toby, and nail sea trout as well as bass.
Ive lost a cracking fish of four or five pounds here before
PS Once its light, bugger off for your breakfast as thats what the bass do
Kev

Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:55 pm

Kev,is it Slea Head that you are fishing or Dunmore head just around the corner above the beach?If it is slea head can you please tell me where you can get to the rocks.I have looked a couple times fpr a way to get down there but no joy.Thanks.

Dunmore Head-slea head

Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:31 am

Hi Col
Is this site full of big fat blokes or what?
On the fishing marks side of things, it is actually dunmore head, just above coumenoole beach that we have been fishing. Two marks as listed in the bible according to "Bob". The mark right at the end of the head, so all the way up past the watch tower, and then all the way down to the end, facing across to the blaskets. Amazing wrasse and pollock fishing and if the mackerel run in, it seems to bring up some really big pollock. The other mark, striking across the headland and down to the horseshoe shaped crescent, is also really good for pollock and wrasse.
Two things, for some reason , german sprats are the killing bait, way more effective than leadheads and jelly worms here. I can only assume its because the pollock I gutted for my tea, was crammed full of sandeels, about the exact size of the "sprats" we were using.Weird.
Kev
PS. We're off to Dingle Saturday after the "Grand slam". Bass at dawn at trabeg, to be followed by mackerel , wrasse,pollock and conger in a single day.Should be awesome, especially if Dave buys batteries for his camera.See ya there

Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:47 pm

Thanks for reminding me about the batteries, I 'm off to the shop this minute to get some.
Sicken after last weekend....my biggest pollack to date and no battery in my camera :evil:

Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:48 pm

Last edited by Dave_B on Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:54 pm

Thanks Kev.Perhaps after some more rock climbing we'll be known as lilkev and lilcol.

Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:24 pm

:D :D

I will be there on the weekend of the 20th to the 23rd of August. Since it's a bloody long trip from Dublin I have decided to make a long weekend of it. A bit of help needed here lads. I am going with two friends one only does a little fishing. Anyway, I am trying to find some accommodation that does not blow a hole in the pocket at this time of year, some of the prices on the net are just not on. I am trying to get a mobile home or some form of cottage that would be of good value, bait just doesn't last too long without being in the fridge. If anyone knows of a place I would appreciate it.

BigKev, I am trying to find Trabeg on the map. Maybe it's just me but I can't seem to find the place. Also, Do you have a spot locally for the hardback crabs?

Any pics from this your last trip?

Kev

Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:43 am

Hi Mac,

I think Trabeg is on the map in irish "An tra bheag" (not to sure of my spelling there). Its a similiar shape to dingle harbour only smaller and to the east. On the accommodation front the buy and sell can offer the cheapest holiday homes going.

Donagh

Trabeg

Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:47 pm

Hi Mac
The mark we actually fish is on the east side of the estuary. 4 miles short of dingle town, there is the freshwater experience building and trout farm. Turn left here and follow the road up to the coast over the hill. Take the last right by a pink bungalow, follow the lane past two or three houses to the end, park and cross the short field onto the estuary proper.This is usually an excellent mark for bass and sea trout at first light. Plugs and tobies are the way to go.
Having said all that, had my first dawn blank there last saturday with Dave
Kev

Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:28 pm

Nice one Lads. I'm off to pick up a buy and sell and see what I can come accross. If I get any fish you can be sure that the pics will be posted here.

Kev

Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:24 pm

Mac

If you want to e-mail me I will give you my phone number and we can have a chat about marks, and accomodation etc. Fish the area quite a lot, and will be down there next week so I can let you know how its fishing.

I have a load of pics i can send you too if you like.

adamshannon@hotmail.com