Kerry Head

Old Shore Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Moderators: donal domeney, saltydog

Kerry Head

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:55 pm

Fished 10 am to 2 pm.High tide 11.30 am.
After missing my 4 am alarm to fish for pollack in Dingle I went to Kerry Head instead.When I got there and saw the swell i nearly turned back.BIG breakers.Started with feathers .Fish caught 0.Rigs lost 3.Deep spinning jelly worm caught 3 pollack biggest of which was 3lb.Float fished for about 3/4 of an hour into the sheltered side and caught 2 more pollack and 1 small wrasse.Feathered for another 2 hours and caught shag all.Mind you,there was an old boy next to me who put me to shame with his casting and mountain goat type climbing ability who caught 7 nice mackeral.Reckon the swell was too heavy.I did however see something quite exciting.About 80 yards out there was a smallish shark(maybe 4 feet,hard to tell)cruising for about 5 minutes.Blueish with a creamyish belly.Any one any idea of what it was?In my excitement I didn't even get a cast to it :oops: although what I would have done I have no idea.

Postby bigcol » Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:58 pm

sorry that was me.Forgot to log on.
col
bigcol
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby jfkireland » Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:33 pm

Hi Col,
Cruising on the top of the water sounds like a basking shark. Beautiful fish who feed on plankton. Actually saw a lovely specimen of the Stags rocks in west cork yesterday - think it was about 10/12 feet - only saw it through binoculars.
There were literally hundreds of gannets diving off the back of The Stags yesterday afternoon - they were all coming up with fish - not sure what though. There were also gannets diving around St Patricks Bridge on saturday, which I havent seen before.
As an aside, we saw zero dolphins over the weekend, only two porpoises. It must be that the water is not warm enough at the moment. ( Our temp sensor is busted!) maybe that could be why people reckon its a poor season so far.
Cheers
JK
jfkireland
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 4 times

The Kerry head swell

Postby bigkev » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:00 pm

Ive only fished this mark once , and in lovely weather. There was still a huge groundswell. Ive fished some scary marks around dingle, but I found kerry head very intimidating
Dont fish it alone
Kev
bigkev
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 2 times

Return to Archived Shore Angling Reports