Cat Rock , Howth, Report

Old Shore Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Moderators: donal domeney, saltydog

Cat Rock , Howth, Report

Postby George » Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:01 am

Cat Rock, Howth, Sunday 18th July 2004, 12am-6pm
Bait: Ragworm, Mackerel, Storm Shads

Fished Cat Rock for the first time in ages with a mate. To put a long story short I blanked and my mate had a nice ballan wrasse on float fished ragworms in the shallow bay. For the last half hour we decided to climb the rock itself and fish the other side at distance! First cast produced a huge number of bites on my rod, but snagged on the attempt of a retrieval. We then had to make a quick getaway as the tide was rising up the swimming pool walls. Will try this spot again but with great caution!
George
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 1 time

howth - bens rock

Postby pep » Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:27 pm

Good Bass mark city side of Howth Head probably the most consistent bass mark ive fished over the past few years. Usually fishes best over the low tide period. Legdering big crab and king rag baits (try to get velvet smimming crabs rather than the common peeler as the dogs will shy away the velvets. This mark fishes for dogs, wrasse, flounder, theodd codling and offcourse the bass whish average 2-3lb and run to 6lb and better. There are also some occasional jumbo plaice present here which i have taken to 3lb. These will take big rag and mussel cocktails fished at range. The venue is best fished evening - night and can throw up the odd strap conger at dead low. Bass will take plugs of which the storm chug bug fished on the surface at last light is the best bet but the ledgering with the velvets is by far the most consistent way of taking the bass. Tight Lines.
pep

Postby m.b3 » Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:04 pm

pep i take it you are talking about Red Rock around sutton?
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 143 times
Blog: View Blog (8)

bass mark

Postby pep » Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:41 pm

Its not at Red Rock its a mark thats about a good 20 minute walk up to the left from Red Rock. Which is accessed through the back of an Old House on the road to the top of the hill past the old cemetry. Its a mark that you would pass easily because it looks just like the rest of the coastline but it is very different, as from my experience it is the only mark worth fishing between the Bailey and Red Rock. Theres a small cove with a strange shaped white rock at the back of it. There is a bis sand bar which runs along the front of the cove at about 60 yards. between the sand bank and the shore is rough with clear patches. I find that most of my bass come from the 50 - 80 yard range which would suggest they like the area were the rough ground meets the sandbar. For the plaice you have to clear the bar and fish on the drop off. Its a mark my mate discovered whilst diving. weve been fishing it for bass for years but its imperative that you hit the edge of the bar with velvets as there the only bait the dogs wont take ive no idea why but its true.
pep

Postby m.b3 » Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:55 pm

pep i have to be honest i can't think of the place. i know the coastline from red rock to the bailey well, so i will keep n eye out. thanks for the reply.
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

bens rock

Postby pep » Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:18 pm

its a top mark and its your loss m.b3 if you want to fish the other rubbish marks around howth for the odd dog. more fish for me. :oops:
pep

Postby m.b3 » Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:50 pm

harsh words pep. there are fish to be caught around howth. time and place being important. although in fairness the mark you mention does sound good. i am sure i have fished it earlier this year with a friend that could not cast past the reef- lost two traces and wanted to go! had to follow suit to keep the peace. thanks for the info.
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

bens rock

Postby pep » Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:36 pm

no bother m.b3 should giveit a go you'll do well.
pep

Postby George » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:11 pm

I think that area is known as the hippy hole?
George
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 1 time

Return to Archived Shore Angling Reports