Mount Charles Pier & St Johns Point

Old Shore Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Moderators: donal domeney, saltydog

Mount Charles Pier & St Johns Point

Postby Mad Mo » Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:50 pm

I was reading about these places in the Shore Marks pages on this site and was wondering if anyone had any extra info about them.
I am looking for info about bait, tides, rigs etc.

What I am most interested in is how they have been fidhing recently.

Anyone out there who knows???????????? :idea:
Mad Mo

St Johns Point

Postby dingbat » Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:48 pm

On the road from Donegal town to Killybegs on the left outside the village of Dunkineely there is a Sigh for St Johns Point. Spin for Pollock. in close for wrass.( rag or hardback) Far out for Sand

you can drive to the end of St Johns Point. Be careful you will have to climb down rocks to fish

You will find Mountcharles the first Village after Donegal Town on the road To Killybegs. Might be worth a spin for Pollock at H/T Very dirty ground.

Dingbat
dingbat
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Irish_Shamrock » Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:58 am

Any reports on how St John's Point is fishing recently?

Heading there at the weekend for the first time this year. Cheers.
Irish_Shamrock

Postby Irish_Shamrock » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:08 am

Just bumping this up - got some kind of "failed sending email" message and it didn't update the thread... :shock:
Irish_Shamrock

Postby arthurg » Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:45 pm

I haven't fished it this year yet.

In fact even last year I stopped fishing St John's Point, preferring to fish the next peninsula facing Rotten Island. You need a good map to see the wee roads that get you to the house near the end, then it is a walk over fields to fish high off the rocks for Wrasse or more to the left - facing St John's Point - for Pollock.

Let us know how it goes.
arthurg

Mountcharles Pier

Postby pete » Sun Jul 04, 2004 4:58 pm

Mountcharles is mainly clean ground and in fact is not very dirty at all. There are patches of weed but your unlikely to loose any gear. High water will see mackerel chasing fry close in but it gets busy at these times and the pier head is quite small. Plenty of dogfish pass through with the flood tide along with thornbacks and tope. In September lots of tiny codling appear. Longer casting will allow you to reach the deeper pockets in the channel.

If you want pollock you'd be better off heading to St. Johns.

Pete
pete
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 51 times

Return to Archived Shore Angling Reports