blscadden rocks 14/06/04

Old Shore Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Moderators: donal domeney, saltydog

blscadden rocks 14/06/04

Postby paddy » Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:17 am

fished balscadden from 8-11 pm on monday night on an incoming tide.Spinning with black feathers and hookais daylight feathers.2 pollack were had alas I still have not caught any shore mackeral yet.Might try and give dun Laoghaire a shot this evening
paddy
paddy

Postby George » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:51 pm

Go that extra distance to split rock Paddy, the deeper water here will produce mackerel.
George
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby IDPearl » Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:19 am

George,

Have you caught Pollack from split rock? Last time I was there, I fished the rock closest to the bird colony, but blanked. I didn't try feathers though, just pulley rig on one rod and float fishing on the other.

Like most places, there was quite a lot of rubbish on the rocks left by anglers, which surprised me, considering how difficult it is to get to!
IDPearl
SAI Sea Dog!

Location: Was Dublin, then SW France, Warsaw, Hong Kong, Malaysia - Singapore!!

Postby paddy curran » Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:31 am

thanks George

I heard it might be better on an ebbing tide.Dont know if thats right as I thought an incoming tide was better.I presume rag and mackeral are good baits at split rock.Is it just a further walk from the car park?

thanks Paddy
paddy curran

Postby Wes » Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:42 am

In fairness Ian, with the amount of reports we give, and the good quality of the shore marks listed, eventually they're all going to turn out like this. God knows how many people are fishing spots they would never have thought of due to our reports and listings. Gotta take the good with the bad.
Wes

"A bad days fishing is better than a good days work"
Wes
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:49 pm

Just wish they would take the bad home with them!

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:59 am

Where exactly is Split Rock?

Postby IDPearl » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:25 pm

IDPearl
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:01 pm

cheers id,looks the part alright,I'll be giving that a go at some stage

Postby IDPearl » Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:35 pm

Just be careful when you go down. Don't go down if it has been raining - the path is grassy and slippery, you can't get grip on the slippery sloping rocks that lead down to Split Rock. Best over 2 hours before & after high tide, but you will have to leave once the tide subsides as you will be an island for a while! Next to the bird colony, so I hope you like birds!

The rock is split in two halves as the name suggests. The rock to the left is grassy on top and will allow you to cast into the bay and out to the seal rock under the water straight out in front. The rock to the right will allow you to cast out in front and over the other bay to the bird colony. You can vary between float fishing, spinning, feathers or bottom fishing. Bottom fishing to the right is snaggy, so take some junk leads on a weak link or use old spark plugs on a weak link to cut down on tackle losses.

Make sure you keep your hands free when you climb down to it. Travel light. Put your gear into a back-pack or shoulder bag and tie some rope round your rods if you don't have a holdall, so you can sling them over your shoulder.
IDPearl
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby IDPearl » Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:57 pm

We did fish the high rocks at Balscadden last weekend and caught a few Macks. Some lads were there from 4am to 7am and caught about 40!!

They are here, but in small shoals few and far apart during the day, but would seem to be in big numbers at night.
IDPearl
SAI Sea Dog!

Return to Archived Shore Angling Reports