Dingle light house Sat.12

Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:54 pm

fished left of the light house from the rocks 9.30am to 2pm.
Some small pollack falling to feathers.Added bonus of 3 medium mackeral.However high point of the day was the wrasse.2 2lb'ers on mackeral under a float then changed to hardback crab.waited 1/2 hour then spotted the float going under.Struck and thought this feels a good fish
I was not prepaired for the fight that followed.Aftr the mother of all struggles I landed (with the help of another angler close by,thanks Harry)a 5lb 3oz wrasse. :D :D :D I have never had a better scrap from the shore.Get to Dingle if you can Lads.The views are stunning and so is the fishing.
There also very good reports coming from Clogher Head spinning for pollack with fish to 4lb being landed.

Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:24 pm

Thats a dream of a wrasse Bigcol well done, that good ould hardback crab :wink:

Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:41 pm

Kieran,
tried to send an e-mail and /or private message re. light house but "sending e-mail failed " keeps coming up?????????

Wrasse Galore and Cod.

Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:05 pm

Have any of you fished for wrasse from the rock's in West Clare well if you havent give it a bash with hard back crabs.
And throw out big baits such as big lug baits or whole large peeler
(those red cod are waiting).

Cod

Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:08 pm

You can actually catch Cod in Clare during the summer months up to 12lbs from the shore it took me 7yrs to find the spot and it was some exhausting work but worth it.
Best of luck.

Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:22 am

C'mon rockhopper...

12 lb cod form the shore! :shock: Give us a clue :lol:
Good on you, I've always felt people should pioneer more marks...

Just a little clue, Clare is a mighty big place to walk around...

Cheers :wink:

PS: Yep, BigCol, got that, never mind the message it is a software bug.
Thanks. Is it okay if I publish it in the guide to marks in the area?

C'mon, clue to catching cod in Clare

Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:36 am

12 lb. ers from shore - that is fantastic. I have never, in many hours of fishing effort, caught a cod from the shore in N. Clare.
Largest caught offshore, from Clare coast, would be about 5 or 6 lbs.
Yes, give us a clue.

Peter

Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:25 am

Rockhopper,

Fair enough if you don't want to give away the mark but could you give a general describtion of the area e.g. high cliffs, deep water, strong tide, other types of fish in the area. So we might Identify similiar marks.

Whould this mark be north or south clare?

Could you also tell us what baits, tides, rigs and time of day you found best?

Donagh

Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:47 pm

What baits do you find best for the red cod Rockhopper? Does the presence of red cod at a mark indicate that there will be good cod numbers during the winter?

Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:57 pm

Kieran,
no problem to publish this mark.There are so many possible areas to cover in this cove.

Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:57 pm

HI all

Hi all, fished what sounds like the same mark last year, and it was excellent, got some nice wrasse at the flat rocks to the left of the car park (called been bawn, i think) , aswell as ray,mackerel,doggies and conger. had the surprise of a 9lbs 6oz pollack from the same mark, also on a hardback crab while wrasse fishing.

Best wrasse fishing i had was around brandon creek, over the headland, fishing off the rocks had 20 wrasse in two days to over 5lbs and lost as many again, would really recommend it.

ADAM

Cod In Clare

Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:53 pm

I will give you one clue the water is very deep and due to comercial fishermen sweeping certain areas im afraid of the same happening to this mark thats why I wont mention it.
The fish seemed to take large fish baits like the side of a mackerel .
Peeler works too, aswell as lug worms.
They are hit and miss too.
A standard 2 hook flapper rig will do and its in south clare but it can be hit and miss at times.