Morriscastle Strand, Co.Wexford.

Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:39 pm

Had two night sessions here over the bank holiday weekend, fished on friday and sunday from about 11pm - 3am on a falling tide both night. Used lug, rag, frozen crab and squid ion their own and in various combos.

Friday night saw two small hounds, a common about 2.5lb and a slightly smaller starry, doggies galore (more than ten) and a small flounder.]
Sunday saw similar results with just one small hound being caught and the same species again.

fished the new marina aswell to try for one of JD's codling but failed using crab lug & rag, fished here on sunday morning on a fast moving dropping tide and bright sunshine so conditions were far from ideal.

A funny story to tell, My brother in law fished with me and has been out a few times with me and seems to be a keen angler. He lost the power in his left arm in an accident a few years ago, so we decided to fish clean beaches where he could leave the rod in the tripod and butt and he could reel in using one hand. I was blasting my baits over 100 yards looking for smoothies, he was game enought to cast himself about 20- 30 yards with my constant slagging of course (all in good fun). I was winching in a double shot of dogs at one stage and saw his rod bend double in the tripod, i shouted to him he might be on, so when i finally had the dog's on the beach he said to me, "This big dog looks really like a shark", i had a look and the b*tard was only after catching the first hound of the weekend, just behind the breakers about 20 or so yards out, he said my face dropped, it was comical, I wonder if you can guess where i put my next bait - :lol:

maurice castle

Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:19 pm

"the first hound of the weekend, just behind the breakers about 20 or so yards out, he said my face dropped, it was comical, I wonder if you can guess where i put my next bait -"

Hi Alby, were all the smoothounds caught at close range ? and whereabouts from the beach entrance did you set up ?

I am hoping to spend a few days down that way myself in the comming weeks. I am also going to give Roney Point a try - apparently it is giving up some good size smoothound recently.

Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:22 pm

Hi ya mick,

the smoothies were caught at all ranges, from close in to slightly over 100 yards. I dont think whereabouts you are on the beach, or what distance you fish is hugely important just fishing from dusk into darkness is the key. On the friday we got down very late about 11 pm so we moved a few yards to the left (north) of the gap down onto the beach and caught plenty of fish. The next day we had a stroll along the beach and saw we were fishing inside, onto and over a sandbank depending on the casting range. The sandbank ended a few hundred yards north and there seemed to be deeper water in close, we decided to try here but in all truth we didn't catch any more fish and moved back to our original spot during the second session and began catching a fish more regularly.

Morriscastle

Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:39 pm

That was a good evenings fishing but believe me Rosslare is the place to be. I have taken several hounds of over fifteen pounds (one of a shade over 20) and ten tope the best of almost sixty pounds. The best fishing is at the point in Rosslare and also under the cannons and behind the tennis courts.

Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:55 pm

Thanks for that,

I have never fished Rosslare before but would love to give it a go for a big hound. I'll definitely give it a go the next time i'm down there.

smoothound

Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:23 pm

me too

Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:05 am

I know where you can catch huge smoothies from the shore..... in excess of 44lbs.........but I can't say where, it would only annoy you :!:

Oooooo I'm such a tease! :twisted:

Morriscastle

Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:11 pm

Albi/Mick.
Conditions are ideal this weekend, the tides are almost spot on and the weather is fine. It is important to fish this area when conditions are right, so sort yourselves out for this weekend. Naturally fresh peeler crab will catch the hounds while mackerel will look after the tope. I would try to fish the point as both species can be targeted here.