Web's Castle Rock, The Baily, Howth, Report

Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:21 pm

Web's Castle Rock, The Baily, Howth, Saturday 5th June 2004, 10am-5pm
Bait: Ragworm, Peeler Crab

Three of us hit Web's castle rock today, none of us ever fished it and it is probably just as dangerous as Split Rock with access over a foot and a half wide "bridge" with either sides collapsing so BEWARE :!:
As for the fishing we were straight into the action with SOD hooking a codling tipping the scales at nearly 2lb :shock: We were shocked to say the least. I then hooked a doggie on my first cast but lost him dragging him up the rocks. Another of my mates then had a red codling of 1.5lbs and at that stage we knew it was not just a once off. He then added a nice silver eel to his tally not something caught frequently off Howth. SOD then landed another beautifully marked almost scarlet , red codling about a pound and a half again.

Sadly the fishing tailed of for the latter part of the day. I caught a pollack and a wrasse and SOD added a pollack and a good wrasse also.
I finished with only two fish although a lost a few up the rocks and also snagged a cracker of a wrasse on a pinnicle.We had eight fish between us yet the codling made the day........................the winter cod trips are already planned 8) 8) 8)

Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:42 pm

What rigs were being used when the codling were landed George?

Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:05 pm

Wes I used standered flapper rigs to catch the fish . The only difference was I used blood loops instead of swiveals to cut down on lost tackle . Hooks were size 1s . I used a rolling lead instead of a grip lead so that my rig could find the snags . The fish were close to the snags . The fish were caught on Rag . Next time will have a bucket full of peeler crab .