Greystones

Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:51 pm

Anyone have any advice for best areas rigs etc and species to target in the greystones area this friday (4th)? probably during the day, was thinking of targeting dabs. also any areas to dig bait nearby?
many thanks

Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:13 am

Ohhhh believe me.......whether you want them or not.......you'll get them!!! :wink:

Greystones

Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:34 pm

If you are after dabs the best rig in my opinion would be a wish bone or slideing wishbone with beads and sequins. Rag(maddies) or mussel would be the best baits for dabs and dogs will take anything really. A cocktail of both has worked in the past for me. As for location the south beach or kilcole would be the best.

Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:53 am

Ended up fishing East Pier at Howth a couple times over an evening tide. First time had wrasse to about 3lb and plenty of small pollack and a flounder, second time 4 red codling from 6oz to about 2.5lb, a few wrasse and pollack including one of 2lb. Wasn't bad for the few hours I could manage. Many thanks for the help given on this post and others.

Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:07 pm

Were you spinning, using feathers, float fishing or ledgering? That's a nice bunch of fish for Howth - well done.

BTW - were you fishing near the light house?

Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:52 pm

Fished the very end by the lighthouse for smaller pollack and flounder on ragworm/fish n strips or spinning. Most wrasse and the codling came from just past the bend on the straight facing out to sea (and irelands eye?)
Legering rag/fish n strips and pollack to mini feathers.

Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:41 pm

Frank

So the big question.......do fish n strips really work or did you catch them all on worm :?: :?:

Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:05 pm

Well in total there were 3pollack 2wrasse and 1codling to fish n strips.i think i'll always keep some around for when i cant get hold of fresh bait.only used half strips, i think with a whole strip or two then the better fish would show to it. i was impressed enough to buy more