Portrane

Thu May 27, 2004 9:37 am

Tried plugging off the rocks and off the little beach below the car park in Portrane. No Joy. There was lots of weed that made fishing very difficult. Tried a german sprat spinner from distance aswell. Fished from about 9pm to 10 pm.
Afterwards went down to a place called the Burrow. A country lane that runs all the way down to the estuary. Met a guy there who was going to collect peeler. He said there was very little doing bass wise anywhere on the east coast bar wexford :(
Anybody hear anything different?
JK

Thu May 27, 2004 10:24 am

I doubt theres much bass being caught at the moment as most people aren't targeting them as its closed season.

Donagh

Thu May 27, 2004 12:30 pm

JFK, rather than going off the rocks below the car park. Take the path to the right of the car park, as though you're heading for the cliff walk. Theres a small path leading to an outcrop of rock......i've taken dog, flats and bass through plugging in season at this spot.

Thu May 27, 2004 12:46 pm

Thanks Wes,
I wasnt sure I could get to the edge from there. I tried left of the beach but there were huge gaps between the boulders to get close to the water.
Have you noticed if weed is a problem there too?
I think I will try the powerball method using artificial eels from here.
Will keep you posted
JK

PS. I know its close season, so no fish would be taken!! :lol:

Thu May 27, 2004 12:56 pm

No prob!
Yeah, there is a slight weed prob, but only in the small coves where you wouldnt fish anyways. I've wondered about Wrasse hard up against the cliff face......worth a shot with your other rod, if you're a 2 rod kind of bloke.

Thu May 27, 2004 1:49 pm

2 rods would be a bit cumbersome - normally just get out for 30 - 40 mins so the less tackle the better

Portane 04/07/2004

Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:24 pm

A few of us fished here between 2pm and 4pm. High tide was at 2pm.

Walked along the path southwards towards Donabate and then down to some of the rock ledges. 10 minutes after setting up the torrential rain drove us back to the car for some soggy sandwiches.

Fished with plugs/shads for about an hour without any bites. Switched to ragworm on a float under a large outcrop without any luck. Another lad tried bottom fishing with ragworm into the sandy coves but only caught a few crabs. There was plenty of sandeels visible in the water so
I might try here again on an incoming tide in the evening.

Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:54 am

Tried this area myself a few weeks ago with rag. Had to gave up after an hour or so because the crabs kept stripping my bait and eventually ran out. At one stage I had 2 large crabs dangling from my line. I was wondering as to the best method to get around this. Maybe put a cork on the snoods?

Paul

Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:07 pm

Hi Paul

If you are being plagued by crabs you could try some floaty beads or cork for movement but in the absence of fish it will not do much good. The damn crabs can swim up to the baits. The best option is to increase the hook and bait size, and to use crab resistant baits like squid, or a few smllish hardbacked crabs bound on with elastic bands! Cocktails with the softer baits surrounded by the squid or stuffed into a squid body are ideal, albeit they will pick out the damned congers.... boat rod territory!

FWIW...