Telegraph Pole / Lion's Head, Howth, Report

Tue May 04, 2004 7:09 pm

Telegraph Pole / Lion's Head , Howth, Monday 3rd May 2004, 10.00-3.30pm
Bait: Mackerel, Squid, Rag, Lug, Peeler, Whites

We decided that the Telegraph Pole would be the venue for the day but after 3 hours with no fish between the three of us we started the long trek around to Lion's Head. After about an hour I had one doggie to Rag/Mackerel tipped with whites. The weather then got rough and no more fish put in a show. We finished with 4 doggies between the three of us.

Tue May 04, 2004 7:24 pm

i reckon the the next good spell of weather should see sport at the Telegraph pole improve. i am not going to fish here until then. the Martello tower is probably a better option prior to this- chance of a bass.

Telegraph pole

Tue May 04, 2004 7:32 pm

Why is it that doggies are being caught in numbers at Lion's Head but none at the pole when it is known as such a good doggie mark?

Tue May 04, 2004 7:42 pm

from what i can remember of last season the best doggy fishing here is in september- a fish every cast being the norm! great if you like doggies. a few wrasse thrown in for good measure. better wrasse are caught dropping your bait out no more than 10 yards. still never caught a codling here despite using peeler/ rag combo's. a waste a crab when doggies here take almost anything. going to try the little beach called 'Sheeps Hole' soon,i will let u know how i get on. i am itching to try Gleneveena again- it may have good flattie potential, clean ground close to rocks, etc.

Thu May 06, 2004 10:59 am

Sheeps Hole :?:

Thu May 06, 2004 11:12 am

That Sheeps Hole is a dodgy spot to get to isnt is Mark.
I remember you said you fished it a bit....seemed fond of it.

Fri May 07, 2004 3:22 pm

Wes i hope to have a map of this place tomorrow- maybe i am wrong about it being called the 'Sheep' s Hole'. will find out tomorrow. i can scan it (if it' s not to big) and send one to yourself and George if yis like. busy busy gotta go. cheers.

Fri May 07, 2004 3:51 pm

Sounds good!

Sun May 09, 2004 7:39 pm

i will get the map again for next weekend. to be honest i didn't have time to scan it. sorry about that lads. the had a look at Gleneveena- it was the place i fished with carp gear....40yards cleared the rocks (at low tide). the spot i fished was at the end nearest the bailey. the rocks i am going to try this summer are at 'Drumleck Piont'. i will get that map to u's asap. appologies for the delay. cheers.

Fri May 14, 2004 3:50 pm

As far as I know Drumleck point is the area with the telegraph Pole.

Fri May 14, 2004 4:12 pm

You're right George, it is. Sheep's Hole is before you come to the Telegraph, from the city direction.