fished greystones yesterday....

Mon May 03, 2004 3:50 pm

fished the low tide up to high, off greystones yesterday. three blokes beat me to the spot i had intended to fish, literally as i was walking towards it! decided i would try somewhere new. casting off the 'flat rocks' behind the school i lost a decent fish in rough ground on retrieve. the low tide made it hard to get over the rocks without problems. sinful leaving a rig stuck in a fish. another cast, same thing. lost a lot of line pulling for a break- the sleeve of my jumper burning through it! did you ever here of such a thing? everything was going perfectly wrong! tried to stay calm. decided to try this spot another day with my rough ground stuff and moved closer to the harbour. easy fishing. had six doggies and a dab. there seemed to be plenty of small flats around, which i had plenty of bites from, but i was unwilling to scale down my baits/ hook sizes in the hope of fishing through them for something better. it never came. baits where very generous crab/ cockle/ large king rag cocktails tipped with small rag and whites. used a 3 hook ( size 1) clipped rig incorporating a wishbone fished between 30- 120 yards. definately one of the bad days! i'll wipe the smile off old Neptune's face next time....