Lion's Head, Howth, Report

Sun May 02, 2004 12:22 am

Lion's Head, Howth, Saturday 1st May 2004 12.00-7.00pm
Bait: Mackerel, Mussel, Rag, Lug, White rag, Razorfish, Peeler

Two of us headed to Lion's head today and were hoping for an improvement after a dissapointing blank about two months back at this mark. This time everything was right and sure enough on my first cast I had a doggie of 2.5lbs, my biggest ever! :P A lovely Dab weighing 10oz followed in quick succesion, another PB! 8) . In the mean time my mate had two doggies and a nice dab of 25cm. Everthing went quiet midday through the day but as the tide started to pick up so did the fishing and I landed another dab, two doggies and a whiting( on razorfish). Ragworm\ Mackerel took the dogs while lug\mackerel took the dab. Tryed for some wrasse in between fishing but this place is really second to the baily when it comes to wrasse probably because of the depth of the water. Mind you I didn't have my trustworthy hardback crab :wink:

I finished with six fish, three doggies, two dab and a whiting. Twelve fish were caught between us.

Mon May 03, 2004 12:02 am

that's a nice dab George- i bloody knew there were good ones there. fair play to you. next month we'll have to get the possy together and get ourselves some smoothies! cheers.

Dabs

Tue May 04, 2004 7:42 pm

You were right about the size of the dabs here all along :D although I'm still not convinced about the telegraph Pole. :lol:

Tue May 04, 2004 7:51 pm

every time i fished the Lion's Head there were good numbers of dabs. some days were better than others though- never really fished it for that long, usually short sessions. George i will let you know when the Telegraph Pole is fishing and you can experience its full glory! it will put you off doggies for life!

Flatties at the Lions head

Wed May 05, 2004 10:26 am

Lads, Have you tried sizing down your hooks? Size 4 would surely be a better bet than size 1 or 1/0 for the flatties here? Keep baits relatively small too.

Wed May 05, 2004 7:52 pm

yeah Steve, usually use size 4' s for dabs. have used 6' s on occasions too. varying degrees of success. when there in the mood (doubles and trebles being caught) they do manage to scoff the size 1' s. but i agree, size 4 is good.
Last edited by m.b3 on Thu May 06, 2004 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 06, 2004 10:57 am

I caught the dabs on size 4's sliding wishbone rig.