Black Head, Co. Clare

Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:07 pm

fished a comp at black head co. clare on sunday. dogies, pollack to 2.2kgs, conger to 2.5kgs and a lobster!!!

Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:09 am

Jakes is that a rock onto sand venue, used for 'master'?

Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:07 pm

M.B3, Black Head is snaggy close in but clean further out . It has been the venue for the Wold Shore Rock Angling Championship and is a top class mark . The pegs are written on the rocks . I hope to do a bit a fishing myself there this summer .

Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:13 pm

thats the spot alright. don't belive everything you hear about the mark, it's very over-rated.

Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:07 am

Yes, I agree with Jakes, this is an over-rated mark. Have spoken with divers who say that the place is teeming with big fish! It is fine for mackeral in the summer, otherwise hard work. My best success there has been live baiting and have caught big pollack this way at Blackhead - fish around the 10 lb. mark - which is good from the shore. When live baiting here I use blennys and, like our web-master, am not too happy about this form of torture. Poor little blennys look at you just like those sad doggies when you are struggling to get the hook out.

Peter

Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:51 pm

thanks for the info. lads. not too keen on the live blenny thing myself. i would only be inclined to use it on rare occassions and not to catch fish that will readily take something else.