Castlegregory, Kerry

Old Shore Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Moderators: donal domeney, saltydog

Castlegregory, Kerry

Postby Steve O'Hanlon » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:38 am

Was in Fahamore, just outside Castlegregory, from Thursday evening till early Sunday morning.

Managed to get out onto the surf beaches on Thursday night and Friday morning, but gale force winds and torrential rain kept me off the beach on Saturday.

Caught two bass, one Thursday night at 3lbs 9oz, the other on Friday morning weighing 4lbs 6oz.

A pleasant weekend all round, just a pity I didn't get a chance to fish on Saturday!

I'll be back down there in July and August, looking forward to it already!
Steve O'Hanlon

Postby m.b3 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:58 am

you lucky sod Steve! what kind of tactics did you use to take these fish?
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 143 times
Blog: View Blog (8)

Castlegregory

Postby George » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:41 pm

One of my mates is heading down there during the end of the summer and keeps on asking me about the place so could you give us more info. Thanks. Would you recomend Fenit Pier or Inch if you could only fish one of them?
George
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby Steve O'Hanlon » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:18 am

Waders are a must for fishing the surf beaches. You can get away with thigh waders, but chest waders are best if you want to avoid getting soaked. It's much better craic wading than standing on the beach looking at a rod tip that has been parked in a rod rest.

A light bass/carp rod coupled with a multiplier or small FS reel means you can comfortably hold the rod for hours.

Other than that, everything is very simple - a single hook paternoster, with a 14 inch snood, and a 3/0 or 4/0 kamasan at the business end. There's no need for bait clips as you're only casting between 30 and 70 yards max. A 90g breakaway should be enough to hold ground, even in a big surf.

Best baits are sandeel and lug. Sandeel seem to sort out better fish, with lug better for pure numbers. If you are using lug try a pennell rig and put 3/4 worms on each time. Don't skimp! Sandeels should be 6 inches plus long.

I generally fish the Brandon beaches, Fermoyle/Kilcummin/Stradbelly, but particularly the Back Beach which is about 2.5 miles from Castlegregory on the road to Fahamore. I'm had most success here by far.

If possible hit the beaches early, the best fishing is at first light, with night fishing being good also. The flood tide seems to work best on all the beaches. August to December seems to be the peak time down here.

I've only fished Fenit twice, if your mate is looking for somewhere to fish in comfort this is the place as there are normally numerous species to be caught. If he's after bass, then either the Brandon beaches or Inch is best.

One more thing, if you fish near Castlegregory and the bass aren't biting, you can always just cross the road and have a go fishing into Tralee bay for ray and other flats.
Steve O'Hanlon

Thanks

Postby George » Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:09 pm

Thanks Steve I'll pass this on. :)
George
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 1 time

Return to Archived Shore Angling Reports