Where: North Dublin
Who: Myself
Duration: 17:30-01:00
Low Water: 17:30
Equipment: 13ft Surf Rod, 11ft Bass Rod, 9ft Spinning Rod
My Bait: Ragworm, Frozen Peeler, Frozen Mackerel
Conditions: Overcast, Chilly, Breezy
Result: 1 Flounder, 1 Smooth Hound

Out for a long session yesterday, started off by float fishing a bit of ragworm under a bombarda float at low tide, switching to a sandeel imitation fly for a bit before throwing on a few different plugs in rotation, I also tied the fly to the top end of my leader i.e. the teaser rig. Fished like this for the first 2 hours of the flood before packing up and heading down the road to a shallow sandy beach to bait fish. Fished the rising tide into darkness, the surf rod had a big peeler bait on a pennel pulley rig at distance and the bass rod had ragworm tipped with mackerel on a 2 hook flapper rig in close. Baits were coming back untouched for the first 2-3 hours but then started to get little rattles just before high tide, then bang on hide tide I hooked into a small flounder. After that things got quiet again for a while, then around 12.45 as I was packing up the bass rod, I got a take from a small smooth hound on the peeler. Sadly no bass this session but better than a blank, things have been very quiet on the bass front this year :?

1.jpeg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: North Dublin 27.07.2022

Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:07 pm

Those small smoothounds really do have the big puppy-dog eyes!

Re: North Dublin 27.07.2022

Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:36 pm

Well done Gonzo.It can’t be monster fish all the time or you wouldn’t appreciate it when the fishing is good.