Benone strand

Sun May 08, 2022 7:56 am

after a long week of work a plan was hatched to go fishing with a few mates and after checking tides it was decided to hit Benone strand in the hope of bass. Once work was done on Saturday and the in-laws visited Dinner was quickly consumed, the car was packed and I was off. Met up with Louis at the venue around 7pm and baits where in the water not long after, conditions looked great, nice surf running, gentle breeze and the sun was out. the plan was to fish until the top of the tide or until baits ran out. Graeme soon joined us and set about playing with his new toy a zziplex m427su, a bit overkill for this beach but boys and new toys. We where not expecting much until the sun went done but baits where changed regularly, the only excitement was a van that got stuck behind us, it took a while but help from a few others we soon had it on its way, to say thanks the passenger gave me 3 beer which where put in the cooler for later. Anyway back to the fishing not much was happening as baits came back untouched, not even a crab was interested but it was still daylight. As the sun went down I got a wee knock on the big bait but nothing else, we fished on using a variety of baits, razor, mackerel, sandeel but mainly ragworm. Once it was dark I even switched one rod to a 3 hook flapper to try and save a blank but it was no good the baits where coming back in untouched, so around the top of the tide we called it quits and packed up, after 5 hours or so of fishing and nothing between the three of us but that's why they call it fishing not catching. Must admit it was great to be out fishing enjoying the craic with a few mates, so until next time lads take care.

Re: Benone strand

Mon May 09, 2022 1:21 pm

Very good. Always good to get out on Benone if even only for the fresh air, lol
Going there then we all have to just expect to catch nothing most of the time
Then ye could be rewarded with a nice bass, a good flounder or turbot, maybe even a smoothie or tope..
Fair play MC

Mon May 09, 2022 3:26 pm

chuckaroo wrote:Very good. Always good to get out on Benone if even only for the fresh air, lol
Going there then we all have to just expect to catch nothing most of the time
Then ye could be rewarded with a nice bass, a good flounder or turbot, maybe even a smoothie or tope..
Fair play MC

cheers lad will hit that beach again someday

Mon May 09, 2022 3:50 pm

I recall fishing this beach on holiday must be 10odd years now at leat I think was that beach!very shallow beach behind golf club?i recall landing a monster of a flounder off it is that still the case these days?either way fish or no fish hood get line out and a catch up mates none the less

Mon May 09, 2022 4:25 pm

DAMIEN wrote:I recall fishing this beach on holiday must be 10odd years now at leat I think was that beach!very shallow beach behind golf club?i recall landing a monster of a flounder off it is that still the case these days?either way fish or no fish hood get line out and a catch up mates none the less

There are 4 beaches on the north N.Ireland coast behind golf courses - Castlerock, Portstewart, White Rocks and Ballycastle. Benone isn't one of them though :)