Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:15 pm

When: 16/04/2022
Where: Howth West Pier
Who: Myself
Duration: 22:30-00:30
High Water: 00:13
Equipment: 9ft Spinning Rod & 13ft Surf Rod
My Bait: Squid Jigs and peeler crab
Conditions: Full moon, windy but water relatively flat.
Result: 1 freshwater eel

Tried jigging for squid last night off Howth West Pier since there is a lot of light shining on the water there I thought it might be a decent spot to try. I remember when I started posting here, another member mentioned the blood moon in April as a marker for squid spawning cycle and that they had caught their years supply in 1 night down in Skerries. I've tried Skerries a good few times now with no luck so Howth was worth a shot this time! I stuck a peeler bait out as well just in case anything else was about. After jigging for nearly an hour with nothing happening, I checked my bait rod and it had a tiny freshwater eel on, tangling up my rig :lol: After throwing the fish back I lobbed another bait out to the middle of the channel between the piers to see if anything bigger was about and got back to jigging. Another quiet hour went by so I packed up and was happy to have caught something at least :D I'll eventually get a squid one of these days!

2.jpeg

4.jpeg

7.jpeg

9.jpeg

10.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Howth West Pier 16.04.2022

Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:57 pm

unlucky with the squid jigging

Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:19 pm

Fair play. Would love to find a good squid mark, think we all would lol
The lads in the south of England seem to get steady numbers of them from the shore most of the year round. Must be about here surely. Good luck

Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:39 am

Well done. Perseverance will pay on the squid front. Talk to as many anglers as you can about it....

Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:43 am

Cheers lads, one day I will get them, and it will be a glorious bait collecting session :lol:

Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:50 pm

I have tried skerries 10 times in the last year summer and Winter nothing to show for it yet. Tried dun loughaire too nothing. I've tried full moon, no moon, lights under water everything I can think of and still nothing .I know they catch them down cork harbour though