P.B. Flounder, N. Donegal, 15 December 2021

Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:53 pm

As usual, my internal biological alarm clock pre-empted the electronic one by about 35 mins; I got up early and was soon off on the road north. The early advantage was squandered by two separate road collisions which held me up by ……about 35 mins. I do wish people would be more considerate and not crash on my intended route. I arrived at the mark to see Chuckaroo’s car parked up and empty,( had he got the hotspot?), but when I arrived at the shore he was just putting the final touches to his rigs. He got off to a flyer, a fine plump 36cm flounder on his first cast to be followed by a nice 27cm turbot on the first cast of rod no. 2. No doubt he was hoping to “break in” his new rod and reel combo with a decent fish but things stopped dead. I was now ready and had two rods fishing mackerel strip on 2 and 3 hook flappers, near and far. Despite the very encouraging start, the next bite didn’t come until an hour and a half later when I managed a small 20cm coalfish, saved a blank but not what I was hoping for. Chuckaroo’s early success came just on low water and the turn of the tide and as the tide filled the surf gained strength. While I was engrossed in sorting out a tangle I failed to see and hear an extra enthusiastic wave surge up the beach and tip over my tackle box, half filling it with sand and water. There’s a nice job to do at home; I suppose by mid-December it was time for a tidy up anyhow. The tide was carrying a bit of weed, not enough to make fishing impossible but a nuisance just the same; combined with an increasingly strong lateral tow, my plain leads were beginning to swing round too quickly; it was time to switch to grip leads. The weed snatching on the line suggested bites at times but baits came back un-touched. Last retrieve of the plain lead yielded a small turbot of 20cm along with a generous helping of side salad. By now the waves were breaking much closer in as the tide had covered the flatter lower half of the beach; now it was Chuckaroo’s turn to fall victim to an extra large surge and his box tipped and shipped sand and water. We were both going through the motions at this stage as the roughening conditions didn’t look good, how long before we cried “Enough!”? I noticed that my far rod, which had been holding station perfectly with the grip lead, was starting to swing round with the tow so I started to retrieve before I swung round into Chuckaroo’s lines. Sure enough there was a fair clump of weed snagged on the leader knot, enough to drag the grip lead out perhaps. Using an incoming wave to help, I got the weed clump to the edge of the water. However as the wave receded I could see something brown flapping a few yards behind; Chuckaroo went down to retrieve the rig and lifted the fish, a hefty flounder, a very hefty flounder. Out with the tape and at 44cm it was a new p.b. for me! A quick weigh gave a weight of 2lb 3oz. All of a sudden, a very mediocre day’s fishing was transformed. At the risk of seeming churlish, on reflection it was disappointing not to see the bite and feel the fish kick and struggle on the way in but the conditions didn’t allow for such luxuries. But a p.b. is a p.b. and sometimes perseverance pays. A while later, with the light fading and the rain gaining momentum, no further bites came; I could feel water seeping in to my old, owes-me-nothing, busted zips and torn lining fishing suit, (are you listening Santa?), it was time for home. Chuckaroo had to work in the morning and I had to lie in; 35 mins of sleep to catch up on!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: P.B. Flounder, N. Donegal, 15 December 2021

Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:14 pm

Great stuff lads some lovely fish there the turbot and huge flounder. Personal best always nice to get. Would say the 35 minute delay helped you be in the right place at the right time ha

Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:35 pm

Lovely fishing lads, that is a fantastic flounder.

johnwest wrote:I do wish people would be more considerate

johnwest wrote:and not crash on my intended route.

You had me in the first half there :lol:

Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:06 am

Great report as always, well done on the pb

Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:28 am

Excellent report man, congrats on the pb flounder and the lovely turbot. I hope Santa gets the message too.

Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:42 pm

Congratulations on the PB, that’s a lump of a fish :)

Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:36 pm

Cracking read that! Congrats on the flounder, lovely fish

Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:05 pm

cracking flounder beats my pb by 2cm, hope you clean out the box and good luck with the Santa suggestions

Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:25 pm

Excellent report. And some nice fish lads.
Clonker of a flounder, congrats.

Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:50 pm

Wow, brilliant stuff! Nearly got me out of the winter armchair...

Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:33 pm

Brilliant reports. I really enjoy reading them. Well done.

Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:22 pm

Well done guys,, jw that was a well deserved fish,, 44cm will be hard bet,,