the swilly again

Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:45 pm

well i haven't been fishing for a while and being off for a few days I got permission from the fpo so gear was packed and I headed off. Arrived at the first mark, a pier on the outer swilly but the forecast was wrong, it gave for light wind but i was almost blown off the pier, so back into the car and drove to a more sheltered mark. The original plan was to go for congers and anything else but with the change of venue came a change of plan, I was now hopeful for a late season ray and maybe a Huss. So was set up and in the water for 8pm and started feeding the crabs, missed a bite early on but a missed timed cast saw the bait landing short and by the time I got the birdie sorted the rod tip was bouncing with a wee coalie, blank beaten time to relax and enjoy the fishing. The time flew by as I landed a few doggies, one of which was over 2lb decent size for this mark and at first I thought it was a a small Huss. It was almost at high water when I got a wee knock followed by another so I struck it, nothing so let the rod down to get another bait ready and when I turned back the same rod was bouncing again, lifted into it thinking it was a doggie but the fight was different so I had high hopes and was rewarded with a small ray. This was followed by a few more doggies before the crabs came back on the feed, so with no bait left I packed up and headed home around 1am feeling tired but relaxed and with the fishing bug well and truly beaten. The only problem is I am itching to get back out again.