Furlongs road Giltheads

Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:51 am

24th September
Only getting this report in as work has kept me busy and fishing as much as possible. Where did september go !! Had wanted to try Bannow Bay for some time and so went down to have a cast. Arrived just before low water and what an impressive place it is. Walked out to the water and set up. there was some wind but the beach looked clear of weed. Well after 5 minutes i brought in the rods to find weed covering the lines totally so had to change the plan. Packed up and back to the car. Was thinking of cullinstown but thought weed could be a problem there too. I had some Mackeral and rag and wanted to try for a tope so decided on Furlongs road as i had a tope take a squid bait there a few weeks before. Arrived at Furlongs and checking out the weed there was some in the waves but otherwise it was grand. Fished two tods with rag, one on a 2 hook clipped down rig and the other on a running ledger rig with bigger hooks trying for anything really. Its was a big tide and the sun would go down about an hour before high. Well not a single bite, conditions looked great but alas no fish. About two hours before darkness i set up a tope rig and cast out and continued with the two hook rig with rag. Its amaxing how casting out a tope rig really get the adrenaline going !! I never took my eyes of the rods. Just as it got dark fishy things started happening!! First fish to come in was a doggie and i thought ok hopefully its not going to be a ton of these for the night. Next thing i got a hammering bite on the rag and struck. Powerful scrap and in came gilthead. Happy with that. Next in was a smoothound, happy days. Another cast with the rag and another Gilthead. The tope rig was doing nothing so brought that in and out went a 2 hook rig. Well for the next hour it rained Giltheads!! it was good that i moved right up the beach as the tide just kept coming up the beach and in the dark it was a bit unnerving. well in an hour i had 9 Giltheads and the smoothie and doggie. Then just like that the bites stopped and it was time to hit the road.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Furlongs road Giltheads

Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:47 pm

Super stuff Sean. Great fishing
Slightly envious tbh, I spent 6 hours yesterday for one flat..
Pity Wexford is so far from me!
great report

Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:30 pm

Great session on the gilts fair play for sticking it out well deserved

Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:20 pm

chuckaroo wrote:Super stuff Sean. Great fishing
Slightly envious tbh, I spent 6 hours yesterday for one flat..
Pity Wexford is so far from me!
great report

Thanks man, The fishing can be hard at times as i have had blanks on beaches down here too. At times its fishing and not catching but you never know what might hook up on your next session.

Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:23 pm

masterkeane wrote:Great session on the gilts fair play for sticking it out well deserved

Thanks man I had two blanks on this beach in the height of summer.

Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:47 pm

savage session sean some cracking fish

Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:35 am

Cheers man yes it sure was one to remember !!

Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:35 pm

unreal Sean, I'd love to catch one of these! well chuffed you must be!

Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:26 am

thanks Kgarr, they are a stunning fish, it was the best session this summer. They turned up in the dark . I dont know how long they stick around but cullinstown is a great place early morning to try for them once the conditions are right.

Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:05 pm

Thanks Sean, will be trying for them on a fly! Wish me luck!