Where: North Dublin
Who: Myself
Duration: 21:30-23:00
Low Water: 21:55
Equipment: 9ft Spinning rod with 5" float & 1/0 chinu
My Bait: Little strips of mackerel
Conditions: Flat calm, chilly evening
Result: 1 Bass

Last minute decision to try a local mark at low tide using my spinning rod and a float. I waded out a little bit and started off with a bit of ragworm but looking down into the water I could see lots of little minnows, shrimps & crabs, so since I brought a bit of mackerel I took a slither of the belly and put it on the hook, cast it out as far as I could, left it a minute and then slowly began to retrieve so the mackerel was just off the bottom fluttering about. Next thing I felt a bite but not a full take so I kept reeling, then bang it was hooked and a fight ensued. This was my first time catching a decent fish on my spinning rod and it was brilliant, the fish put up a good fight and I definitely want to do it again :lol:

1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: North Dublin 29.07.2021

Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:41 pm

well done

Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:17 pm

Good stuff,, definitely be able to fire out a wee Hansen striper or similar for them now,, you'll be an expert lure fisherman in no time

Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:20 pm

super Gonzo, I've never had a bass off a float before! you're having a stonker of a season!

Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:52 am

Cheers lads! it's mad to think this is only my second season and it's going this well, wouldn't have gotten this far without all the help I've gotten here over the last 2 years :D

I went out again this evening to the same spot, fished 10pm-12pm using all different types of lures, there was fish everywhere splashing all around me but nothing was taking the lures, until I threw on my broken feedshallow that I cracked off a rock last year and fixed with a bit of tec7 :lol: I started a slow retrieve while flicking the rod to the side every few seconds to make the lure do a little nose dip and all of a sudden I was on! I got it about half way in and it came off, now that I knew what the fish wanted and how they wanted it I kept going, varying the retrieve and flick intensity, I spent another hour doing this and I was saying to myself right this is the last cast, if I don't get anything it's time to go, I whacked it out and started a really slow retrieve then bang I was on :D this time it stayed on and I landed it, 43cm bass and my first one on a lure, chuffed :D Just goes to show that you can in fact catch fish on lures in total darkness!

1.jpeg

2.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:45 am

Deadly, nice solid fish there! I would love to catch one on a lure myself. Once I'm back fishing in the autumn though it's going to be a proper campaign for cod and tope.