Howth Rock Mark 05.07.2021

Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:50 pm

When: 05/07/2021
Where: The old swimming pool beside the telegraph pole
Who: Myself
Duration: 08:30-11:30
High Water: 08:40
Equipment: 13ft bass rod and a standard sea float rigged with a 1/0 chinu.
My Bait: Small live hardback crab
Conditions: Nice sunny day, fairly calm and clear water
Result: Zilch

Thought I'd give this spot a go for some wrasse trying to get more points for my species hunt as it looks like the type of ground I've read they inhabit, got to the mark just bang on high tide and dropped a hardback out on the float, after a few minutes I packed up and moved around to the telegraph pole to feather for mackerel since I read that the wrasse like a bit of movement in the tide so was unlikely to get anything over slack water. An hour of feathering at the telegraph pole produced nothing and I also tried the float around there too in different spots & depths. So I went back around the corner to the old swimming pool spot and spent the rest of the session there throwing the float into different gulleys, right in close and out far. At 11:30 and 3 hours into the drop with no action I packed it in, maybe I'll try there again some other evening with peeler on pulley rigs later in the year.

Also does anyone have any tips for me to get a few new species around North Dublin for the species hunt? :lol:

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

5.jpeg

https://youtu.be/FEct-dmo420
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Howth Rock Mark 05.07.2021

Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:23 pm

Light float gear and size 8 hooks and go after mini species from any of the piers should get a another few species.

Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:50 pm

try smaller gear and lrf for species, the hardback tend to be for better ballans

Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:48 pm

Sometimes you just have to settle for "a nice sunny day"! I have found the depth the float is set at can be critical for wrasse, an adjustment of 6-12" making all the difference. There may be smaller wrasse about the mark which might not tackle a hardback, perhaps try rag? Peeler crab seems a bit of a luxury for wrasse to me.

Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:47 pm

johnwest wrote:Sometimes you just have to settle for "a nice sunny day"! I have found the depth the float is set at can be critical for wrasse, an adjustment of 6-12" making all the difference. There may be smaller wrasse about the mark which might not tackle a hardback, perhaps try rag? Peeler crab seems a bit of a luxury for wrasse to me.

Wait maybe I could use left over peeler legs or something? Definitely will bring some rag next time too!

Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:57 am

I had a nice size Ballen Wrasse from that spot using peeler crab, dropped it down into the water to the left of the rock platform. Had no luck with hardback crab, just happened to find one peeler while searching for hardbacks. Might be worth a go next time you're out that way.

Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:21 am

stonefish wrote:I had a nice size Ballen Wrasse from that spot using peeler crab, dropped it down into the water to the left of the rock platform. Had no luck with hardback crab, just happened to find one peeler while searching for hardbacks. Might be worth a go next time you're out that way.

Cheers! yeah I tried the next day down at the Lions head but sprained my ankle after slipping on the rocks so probably gonna be a few weeks before I can fish those rocky marks again :?

Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:54 pm

bit more footage I forgot I took with my gopro:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4Jlr9OopjKM