Back on the hounds - Wexford - 14/06/2021

Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:33 am

After a session a few weeks ago only producing dogfish, I got back out tonight in search of my first hounds of the year. I was worried I had bottomed out my luck well with my success last year but it seems not to be the case (for now anyway!).
Heading to my local which provided the goods last year, I set up with some fresh frozen peeler crab and some fairly dire looking squid at around mid-way through the flood. On the second cast of my pulley rig with a big crab and squid combo I finally recognized the violent take a smoothie provides- a quick struggle and with the help of a fellow angler using a net (thank you kindly) I landed my first hound of the year. It was only a pup at around 2lbs but I was delighted.
A quick release followed and I baited back up using the same combo which resulted in another take of my 2nd smooth hound- this time one of a decent size but no records broken yet.
Smooth hound 2.jpg

This activity was fleeting despite numerous hammering bites over the next 2 hours - I failed to hook anymore but it didn't matter as it was the start!
An inner monologue decided that it was either bait size or the fact that I wasn't using a pennel hook which caused the problem, with the former being the most likely solution.
I was using half an average sized peeler crab along with half a squid body lashed on - nothing massive but since smooth hounds will gladly take a single ragworm bait perhaps it was providing too big for some of these smaller hounds- looks like I'll be doing some experimenting over the next few sessions.
Regardless, it was great to get out and finally catch some smooth hounds, hopefully the first of many!
Tight lines all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Back on the hounds - Wexford - 14/06/2021

Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:33 am

Fair play man great report! I've noticed myself with a pennel setup that the vast majority of the smooth hounds are hooked with the top hook

Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:22 pm

Nice hound, some big hounds caught from that mark last year too.
Well done.

Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:15 pm

Gonzo wrote:Fair play man great report! I've noticed myself with a pennel setup that the vast majority of the smooth hounds are hooked with the top hook

Thanks man, I might have to use a pennel set up next time (possibly tonight). I believe C&R chinu hooks are ideal.
Dogbert wrote:Nice hound, some big hounds caught from that mark last year too.
Well done.

Cheers dogbert, indeed there was, a few I caught were near double figures from that area and that mark specifically, that's my target this summer (again!).