GOREY WEEKEND

Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:02 pm

Firstly, I’d like to give a thumbs up to the lads who pointed me in the right direction.
Secondly, sorry for the delay in the post computer problems.

Friday evening, Tinnabarna.
First bait in the water at 18.55, lines up at 21:20
Before I could get the second rod in the water The first rod was getting a few short rattles. The nice thing about using hooks is sometimes the fish catch themselves. When the harder knock appeared it was time to get it ashore. Not a bad start, first cast and a double, a flounder and a pup hound. :lol: :lol:
20210528_190924.jpg

With the second rod baited I flicked out the 3 baits into the gutter in front of me. Back into the water again with rod #1 giving it another good thump outside the outer surf. Next bite from rod #1 had that horrible look of a dogfish about it so with 3 hooks on board it could stay there. Rod #2 seemed very quite so I brought it in to check the bait, well I could have sold the bait that was on the hooks as fresh and unused. Not a peck on them. Put back out into the gutter with same bait on. Rod #1 came in with just the one dog on it. I rather not be posting up pictures of dogfish :evil: but as this was an east coast dog it might look different from the ones we get in Cork. :lol:
20210528_193524.jpg

Rod #2 came with little damage done to the bait so this was freshened up and sent off out to the horizon. With the two rods at distance things got a bit busy with a mixed treble landed at one stage.
20210528_202337.jpg

It was a busy enough session with a total of 14 fish. 5 hounds, 4 dogfish, 3 flounder, 1 bass and 1 dab. The only time I reeled in without a fish was the rod in short.
20210528_195954.jpg

20210528_205247.jpg

Saturday morning, Kilmichael point,
Had a look at this on Geohive and Google earth and as it looked fishy I’d give it a go. 8) Had planned to go up to the left but with a big fat seal up there. :evil: I fished on the first flat bit of rock. Fished with the best of king rag, lug, crab and maddies but it was a slow enough session.
the bait.jpg

With a return for a 2 hour session of 4 dogs and two small hounds. :D :D
D2SI1.jpg

D2S1 HOU.jpg

Fished baits at all distances reeled in a few times with the bait in prime condition.

Saturday afternoon, Tinnabarna,

Back at it after lunch, this time I brought the 6 year old grandson along.
We had a look at Courtown harbour for somewhere I could do a bit of float fishing for small fish. Kids never worry about the size of fish that they catch once they are catching something. With bodies all over the place I gave it a miss and headed back to Tinnabarna. A dropping tide I was told was not the best but it was lazy fishing and the sun was shining. :D :D :D
First bait, 3 hook clip down was sent off out there. First cast produced a double after about 20 minutes in the water. I’ll take that. :o
20210529_162509.jpg

Had the second in close and once again it just was not getting touched. Next bit had the look of a dogfish about it. The young lad wanted to bring it in so It was off you go. Stuck the butt of the rod into the sand and gave him the instructions of reel down pull back. It was a bit of a struggle but he stuck with it. I’m putting this down as another double, I dogfish and 1 grandson hooked on the same rod. :lol: :lol:
first dogfish.jpg

Well he’s living in Gorey so he might as well get use to catching dogfish. :oops: :cry:
Quiet session with a total of 5 dogs and 1 dab. No show on the hounds, flounder or bass. 8)
Happy lad going home with 2 kit-kat's for first prize for the longest dogfish. :lol: :lol: :wink:

Sunday morning,
The small lad and myself headed off to Dodds rock for this session.
Set up about 50mts to the left of the entrance. Rods at distance were producing dogs on every cast. Had a light rod in close for the lad who had a nice double of flounder.
DOUBLE FLAT.jpg

In all, he was happy enough dragging in my dogfish for me until he had a doubler on, that tore the hands off him. I had a few half crab left so I brought them up to the angler to the left who introduced himself as rodger de dodger its nice to put a face to such a famous poster. :P :P After the usual chit-chat I headed off as the local were starting to move in.

On the way home on Monday I had a few casts at Ballinoultar 4 dogs and a dab. I won't blame the venue I'll put it down to the quality of the angler at that stage. 8)

In all not a bad few day on the rod. 8)

Observations, explaining to dog owners the hazards of anglers, dogs and hooks always got a thank you and they were happy to put the lead on the dog and avoid the next angler down. :shock:
The other one is why do people prefer to walk between your rod stand and you tackle box, bait buckets and traces usually a space of about 6 feet. The f#####g beach is 60 feet wide sir are you blind or brainless. :evil: :evil:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: GOREY WEEKEND

Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:51 pm

Brilliant report Donal, a great read! and some nice fish! :D

Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:15 pm

Class report! Worth having a tope rod out in Kilmichael if you're there again too. I'll be trying there again myself and I've had good luck on hounds too.

Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:45 pm

Back up on that way in 3 weeks might have a look at it then. Out on the point looks a nice spot. A bit slow on the rocks at the moment made shite of my ankle 2 months ago torn ligaments and ripped off a piece of bone from the ankle at the same time ouch.

Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:22 am

Class Donal - that’s a lot of fish

Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:43 pm

Busy Trip Donal. Lovely report thank you.

Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:11 pm

Great report,, a very enjoyable read and lovely fish

Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:43 pm

Nice haul of fish for your few sessions.
Sure its what summer was invented for..

Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:16 pm

Class report Donal, a nice variety there. Great read

Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:14 pm

Great report and great results. I’m heading down that way for a few nights in September and might try sneak the rods along. Is there a man that does bait locally or did you bring it all with you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:19 pm

used my own bait.