swilly rays

Old Shore Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Moderators: donal domeney, saltydog

swilly rays

Postby MC » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:34 pm

after I finished work and did the BBQ thing I got a few hours shuteye before picking the wife up from work at 11pm. once home I soon had the car packed and headed to a wee mark I had found way back last year. Not a big mark just enough room for one person, a tripod and a single rod. Low water was about 11.40pm and it was 12.30am by the time I had suited and booted and walked to my mini platform. From the word go baits only lasted about 15minutes as the crabs where out in force, after an hour or two I was getting fed up and almost called it quits when the crabs disappeared. Taking this as a good sign I baited up with a sandeel/mackerel combo and chucked the offering as far as I could. Almost instantly the rod tip quivered before pulling over, ray on and after a spirited fight I had a nice 5lb thornback at my feet, second rig casted out and the ray was released and when I looked up the rod tip was pulling down again. I lifted into my second fish only for the line to go light, missed him, or so I thought as the ray had swam towards me. After some frantic winding and a last dash for freedom I soon had the second ray of the night at my feet, quick picture and he was released. Once again I sent a fresh bait out hoping for number three but it wasnt to be as the crabs came back and in force too, so I packed up at 4.30am and went home to bed. All in all it was a great night, mild, no wind and a flooding tide, roll on the next time.

For this message the author MC has received thanks: 6
corbyeire (Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:09 am), Daz (Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:40 pm), Gonzo (Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:13 am), Greendag (Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:37 pm), m.b3 (Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:31 pm), Rod Tips (Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:24 pm)
MC
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 379 times

Re: swilly rays

Postby chuckaroo » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:41 pm

Nicely done MC. Nice wee session
Charlie

2024 targets:
porbeagle, stingers, seatrout, shore skate, shore tope
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 819 times