Moderators: donal domeney, saltydog

Youghal 21st October (two dogfish)

Postby AlanIRL » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:57 am

When: 21/10/2020
Where: Youghal
Who: Mise,i m'aonar
Duration: 21:00-11.30ish
High Water: 21:00
Bait/Rig: Pulley Pennel with frozen sand eel.
Conditions: Sea was fairly calm and turning slack as I arived. Towards 10:30 a strong ebbing current kicked up and very muddy discoloured water followed.
My Result: My first ever dogfish followed closely by a second one. I was chancing my arm for Cod or any other bottom feeding edible fish really but have been wanting to catch a dogfish since I got back into fishing so I'm delighted with myself. Seemed to be digging the sand eels.

As the tide turned the fishing died off. Tried strips of mackerel and then mackerel with sandeels but nothing seemed to be about.

Two gents up from me also had a doggie before I arrived and think they caught one or two while I was there but really couldn't make it out.

For this message the author AlanIRL has received thanks:
TropicThunder (Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:04 pm)
AlanIRL
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 7 times

Re: Youghal 21st October (two dogfish)

Postby AlanIRL » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:13 am

images over here: https://imgur.com/gallery/QPLNuQU
but ye know what a dogfish looks like...
AlanIRL
SAI Lug Worm

Postby kstaff » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:10 am

Good stuff Alan, Youghal should be coming into its own fish wise from now till Jan. Keep at it you'll see plenty codling soon enough and a few surprised to eels!
Blue n White is the new Black!!!
kstaff
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 308 times

Postby johnwest » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:12 pm

AlanIRL wrote:When: 21/10/2020
Conditions: Sea was fairly calm and turning slack as I arived. Towards 10:30 a strong ebbing current kicked up and very muddy discoloured water followed.
My Result: My first ever dogfish followed closely by a second one. I was chancing my arm for Cod or any other bottom feeding edible fish really but have been wanting to catch a dogfish since I got back into fishing so I'm delighted with myself. Seemed to be digging the sand eels.

As the tide turned the fishing died off. Tried strips of mackerel and then mackerel with sandeels but nothing seemed to be about.

Two gents up from me also had a doggie before I arrived and think they caught one or two while I was there but really couldn't make it out.

They're just like the buses! Well done, or should I say "Maith thu"?
2013 species; 31

2014 species; 27

2015 species; 28

2016 species; 32

2017 species;28

2018 species; 33

2019 species; ballan wrasse,blonde ray, coalfish, cod, cuckoo wrasse, dab, dogfish, flounder, goldsinny wrasse, ling, mackerel, plaice, pollack, poorcod, pouting, scad, sea scorpion, spotty ray, spurdog, thornback, tub gurnard, turbot, whiting.
johnwest
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 1299 times

Postby AlanIRL » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:48 pm

kstaff wrote:Good stuff Alan, Youghal should be coming into its own fish wise from now till Jan. Keep at it you'll see plenty codling soon enough and a few surprised to eels!

Lookin forward to the end of this lockdown :twisted:
AlanIRL
SAI Lug Worm

Postby AlanIRL » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:49 pm

johnwest wrote:
AlanIRL wrote:When: 21/10/2020

They're just like the buses! Well done, or should I say "Maith thu"?

Grma! :D

For this message the author AlanIRL has received thanks:
johnwest (Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:26 pm)
AlanIRL
SAI Lug Worm

Return to Archived Shore Angling Reports