Ballycroneen 17-Oct- 20

Postby shortcircuit » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:27 pm

11:30-13:45
Low tide at 12:45 (Cóbh)
Frozen mackerel, squid, sandeel
2 Hook flappers size 4,size 1
Pulley 4/0

Results : blank

Got some free time at short notice so headed out with what bait I had in the freezer. I would have liked to have had lug but such is life.

Normally wouldn't bother fishing these beaches in daylight but seeing as I had the time I decided I'd fish a new mark (for me)

Lovely surf on the beach when I arrived and clean of weed which raised my spirits

Varied the distances between the rods; lobbed out into just a couple of feet of water, into the breakers and also pushed out big baits at distance. Not so much as a touch on anything, even when I scaled down on hook size and scratched close in. I suspect I would have picked up some flatties at close range if I had lug.

I had to leave just as the flood got going and I saw another anger setting up. Maybe he had better luck...

For this message the author shortcircuit has received thanks: 3
Daz (Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:37 am), Gonzo (Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:22 pm), jonney (Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:24 pm)
shortcircuit
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 240 times

Re: Ballycroneen 17-Oct- 20

Postby donal domeney » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:48 pm

shortcircuit wrote:Got some free time at short notice so headed out with what bait I had in the freezer. I would have liked to have had lug but such is life.
Normally wouldn't bother fishing these beaches in daylight but seeing as I had the time I decided I'd fish a new mark (for me)
Lovely surf on the beach when I arrived and clean of weed which raised my spirits
Varied the distances between the rods; lobbed out into just a couple of feet of water, into the breakers and also pushed out big baits at distance. Not so much as a touch on anything, even when I scaled down on hook size and scratched close in. I suspect I would have picked up some flatties at close range if I had lug.

I had to leave just as the flood got going and I saw another anger setting up. Maybe he had better luck...

Both Ballybrannigan and Ballycroneen are fine daylight beaches. Sadly when I got there last Wednesday afternoon there were members of IFI at Ballycroneen on the lookout for possible illegal fishing.
I could name the boat involver and the list of previous convictions but for legal reasons I'll say zip.

Spoke to an angler who was there at low water and he said the net was so close to the shore he could have put a lead out over it.
Boat species '15 (31) Shore species (21) Total species 40 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth .92kg,(B) Spotted ray 6lb,(S) Painted ray 12.4lb
Boat species '16 (30) Shore species (17) Total species 36
Boat species '17 (35) Shore species (22) Total species 37 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth, (S) Flounder
donal domeney
Head of International Security and Bringer of World Peace

Have thanks: 1248 times

Re: Ballycroneen 17-Oct- 20

Postby shortcircuit » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:25 pm

Donal thanks for the info, I never bait fished these marks so I didn't know if they were the same as the beaches further east, where daytime fishing is no use.

I was actually doing a search for info on these marks and was looking at posts from ten years ago bemoaning the exact activities you are on about. It's sickening to think that we are having the same conversation a decade later.

As the French say, plus ça change.
shortcircuit
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 240 times

Return to Archived Shore Angling Reports