Telegraph Pole Howth 28.9.20

Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:47 pm

Fished below the telegraph pole on Howth today for a few hours with lures. Nothing much showing but a few tiny pollack. Tried a range of metals from 14g SPROs to 32g Savage Gear Seekers, weedless jelly worms, Savage Gear Sandeels of various colours. Absolute tackle graveyard, lost a good few metals to the bottom. I'd be tempted to bait fish with pulleys and rotten bottoms though. Anyone had much luck doing that? I'd say float fishing with rag would be successful enough too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Telegraph Pole Howth 28.9.20

Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:54 pm

Fished it for the first time recently and thought it would be a good spot to float fish too. I had more problems with the kelp and seaweed out to the left rather than the rocks. I’d imagine there is some amount of gear snagged there though!

Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:23 pm

I've fished here a good few times this year, got plenty of pollock and mackerel. I tried float fishing a bit of mackerel but that didn't work. The shore mark guide on here says it's possible to get codling & coalfish here to big baits but dogfish might get there first. I think even conger eel is possible at night too!

I've lost a serious amount of tackle here, probably in the region of 50 euros worth this year..

Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:19 am

If there are clean patches between the rough and you knew where they were you'd be laughing but you'd lose a lot of tackle. Might get lucky with rotten bottoms and just lose a lot of leads, but still. I'd be surprised if float fishing rag didn't turn up a few pollack.