Rogerstown Estuary 07.09.2020

Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:48 pm

When: 07/09/2020
Where: Rogerstown Estuary
Duration: 19:00-21:00
Low Water: 21:00
Equipment: 9ft abu garcia spinning rod with shimano 4000 reel.
Bait/Lures: Samson Enticer Minnow 15g White & Tacklehouse Feedshallow 128mm Bloodhead.
Conditions: Cloudy
Result: Blank

Headed down to Rogerstown this evening 2 hours before low tide with my new lures and spinning rod, now I usually fish the mouth of the estuary but this time I decided to go much further in to where the mussel beds are as I had seen someone fly fishing here a few days ago. I started with the feedshallow and after a few casts I saw a large sea trout jump out of the water only about 30ft away, so I thought if trout of that size are here then the bass must be here too right? I carried on into darkness switching my lure every now and then but no luck this time.

Re: Rogerstown Estuary 07.09.2020

Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:54 am

Tried here with lures about three weeks ago. Early morning fished the two hours into high tide. Moved from the mouth of the estuary in and opposite to the Rush Sailing Club. Very little activity at all.

Planning on heading back out there this weekend.

Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:20 pm

Kevvv wrote:Tried here with lures about three weeks ago. Early morning fished the two hours into high tide. Moved from the mouth of the estuary in and opposite to the Rush Sailing Club. Very little activity at all.

Planning on heading back out there this weekend.

Well there's bass there, a friend of mine caught a 46cm one here maybe 3-4 days ago, on peeler in the channel on incoming evening tide! I'm going to try plugging Rogerstown as much as I can this month as September is supposed to be the best month for it here!

Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:14 pm

I don't think its deep enough there possibly? The coloured water will hinder the " visual s" of a lure too so try get fast moving clear with a little more depth. Rocks along the right of Portrane would be far better with lures.

Keep us posted and good luck!!

Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:56 pm

kstaff wrote:I don't think its deep enough there possibly? The coloured water will hinder the " visual s" of a lure too so try get fast moving clear with a little more depth. Rocks along the right of Portrane would be far better with lures.

Keep us posted and good luck!!

Have often thought to try the rocks at Portrane, just before you swing left in towards the estuary. Going to bring the waders with me next time and try fish into the estuary channel a bit deeper also.

Picked up a new Westin soft plastic that I’m keen to get wet too. Tides moving into the evening together with shorter days might help too!