Kilmichael Point 01/09

Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:47 am

Time: 1730-2230
High Tide: 2116 Arklow
Rigs: 2 hook loop rig and pulley pennel
Bait: Fresh peeler, rag, squid, mackerel
Results: 1 good smoothie, all the dogfish you could shake a stick at.

Tried Kilmichael point for the first time yesterday. Got down in daylight to set up and was getting bites while getting the second rod set up. Got some good runs and hooked three hounds but lost two on the way in. Landed one of about 6 or 7lb and the two lost felt better. One bent out a 2/0 Varivas Big Mouth, my fault for having the drag a little too tight. Hounds were taking half crab sized baits and some larger ones. Dogfish were taking anything and everything. Surprisingly, the hounds stopped running when it got dark and it was a carpet of dogfish then. Has anyone had look here for cod once the weather turns? Looks like it should be perfect for it, decent tide run and all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Kilmichael Point 01/09

Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:51 am

Nice session there
Was it off the rocks

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:11 am

Yep, northern side of the point. Fished a big arc from north to east at various ranges from about 50-100m. I ended up taking one rod in and just fishing one since the bites were coming thick and fast. All then ground seemed clean enough, very little weed and manageable tide, no movement with 6oz, could have used 5s. Best results were straight out to sea from about 80-100m.

I have a rig I use a lot in winter for codling fishing. It's a two snood loop rig with a 3ft snood on the bottom to a pennel of a 2/0 Chinu and a 3/0 BMX and a snood about 2ft to a 2/0 BM or BMX. Half a decent crab on the top hook and a big lug and squid or lug and mussel cocktail on the pennel. Great for figuring out what the fish are eating and the crab picks up some better coalies too. I'll be tempted to try it there next month if anyone has had much luck with the cod before.

Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:53 pm

We found the same with the hounds there as soon as light faded the disappeared. Strange. Great spot though

Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:08 am

Thats a fair hound, good scrap id say.

Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:43 pm

Good Tope ground by teh sounds of it too?

Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:40 pm

Nice hound, found the same with the hounds clearing off when the light falls. They usually come back later on so I think it's just a case of pack movement coinciding with darkness

Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:36 pm

I'm going to try there in daylight again this week, do a longer session. I only went down in daylight at all as it was a new rock mark to me! Going to stick out a tope bait this time as well but I reckon landing one there will be interesting! I'd definitely suspect they'll be there with the way the water runs along the point but looking forward to seeing whether there are cod in winter too. Anyone taken them from here in numbers or size?

Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:56 pm

Not sure about cod but I've heard there's tope there and it makes sense, clones is only down the coast a bit and it had plenty of tope last summer. Let us know how you get on!

Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:30 pm

Need a plan to land one solo if I do hook up first! But I'll certainly be looking at it as an option. I only tried the northern end of the rocks so I might have a ramble around and see where else is worth trying there. There might be somewhere a bit easier to land that tope for a start!

Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:59 pm

Nice session and a very decent hound. Love that mark, been a few years since I've fished it.

Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:19 pm

Hopefully get a few more this next go. I suspect the two I lost were bigger again! But yes, very decent hound, reckon it's a good spot to try for a double!

Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:57 pm

Got 2 hounds on a 2 hook clipped rig straight off the bat. Hadn't even set up the 2nd rod! Awesome catching 2 together

Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:00 am

Jesus, that would stress any rod!