Blanking in the West - Fenit Pier, Kerry - 26/08/2020

Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:55 pm

Hey all,
with the current climate (sick of hearing about it) it was obvious going abroad wasn't an option so we decided upon a short trip to Tralee. Staying only 10 or so minutes from the shore. I managed to shoehorn in a fishing session at Fenit Pier.
Unfortunately the timing couldn't be worse as Storm Francis was doing its worst on the coast on the first 2 days of our trip. On the evening of the 26th, after picking up some sandeel from the Angling Hub in Tralee (thanks to the lads who sorted me with the info) I was advised to head to Fenit Pier as it had been mostly weed-free after the storm, and a much more comfortable mark than the beaches at SPA. I set up at around 7pm and started to fish the flood near the marina. There were plenty of people fishing the viaduct for mackerel and i believe a few were caught, although it wasn't meant to be for me as I ended up blanking. I had been hoping for some sort of ray, but only received finnicky little bites from what I presume were pin whiting. I don't think I'll get a ray this year but I still have one plan left. I wasn't too cut up about the blank due to the amazing scenery around me, it really is something else. Furthermore I ended up getting some drone footage which I will pop down below to make up for the lack of fish.
Tight lines all.
(Had to compress the shots in order to upload)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Blanking in the West - Fenit Pier, Kerry - 26/08/2020

Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:32 pm

Great drone footage must get myself one of them which one did you use ?
mickser

Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:09 pm

Some nice shots of Fenit there.
Seldom fishes as well as it used to.
Take a scoot down to kilteery or glin before seasons end ya mite get a Thorne or 2.

Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:36 pm

mickser wrote:Great drone footage must get myself one of them which one did you use ?
mickser

Cheers mickser, I used the DJI Mavic Mini. It's the cheapest of the DJI series but a great starter drone. The shots are in a much higher resolution than what I posted, and it records in 2.7K which is super clear. It is a great starter drone (basically learned to fly it properly in 5 mins).

MONKEYwrasse wrote:Some nice shots of Fenit there.
Take a scoot down to kilteery or glin before seasons end ya mite get a Thorne or 2.

Thanks MONKEYwrasse, it was a pity to blank but I will try again eventually. I've actually been researching the Shannon Estuary as I hope to go to college in Limerick once I get my results. Foynes seems a bit closer than kilteery or glin would that be worth a shot?

Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:44 pm

Clare side of the estuary is far better for what even reason, tarbert, glin and kilteery will throw up a thornback and strap eels but would not be my first choice. PM me if your considering going to the Clare side

Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:47 pm

Go Big or Go Home wrote:Clare side of the estuary is far better for what even reason, tarbert, glin and kilteery will throw up a thornback and strap eels but would not be my first choice. PM me if your considering going to the Clare side

Cheers GBGH, will PM you if i'm able to go out to that side. Don't have a car yet so Glin etc would be my only options for now since I'll (hopefully) be based in Limerick

Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:51 pm

Teegerstk wrote:
mickser wrote:Great drone footage must get myself one of them which one did you use ?
mickser

Cheers mickser, I used the DJI Mavic Mini. It's the cheapest of the DJI series but a great starter drone. The shots are in a much higher resolution than what I posted, and it records in 2.7K which is super clear. It is a great starter drone (basically learned to fly it properly in 5 mins).

MONKEYwrasse wrote:Some nice shots of Fenit there.

Thanks MONKEYwrasse, it was a pity to blank but I will try again eventually. I've actually been researching the Shannon Estuary as I hope to go to college in Limerick once I get my results. Foynes seems a bit closer than kilteery or glin would that be worth a shot?

I think access to foynes is restricted, there is a spot beside the yacht club but again I'm not sure about access.
Some of the local lads on here from down that way will give u a few pointers if ya put a post in Q&A section.