A comeback - Wexford 13/08/2020

Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:26 am

Hi all, haven't posted a report in a while but for a good reason. Over the past month or so I've had the worst spell of blanks in my life! Well over 36 hours of fishing with nothing to show for it in 7 sessions.
I was starting to believe I was cursed, as other anglers on some of the days were catching bass and hounds beside me. It wasn't down to bait, I had been using fresh rag I dug and fresh frozen peeler and squid. I was sure I was getting conditions right but I was just in the wrong spots at the wrong times I think. Regardless, I got out last night and finally managed to break the curse with 2 smooth hounds.

After trying 3 or 4 new marks among the usual few I fish, I decided to hit up a local beach that has been hit and miss this year for me. It has produced bass and smoothies in the past and it didn't disappoint me this time. Arriving an hour before low water, I set up with a flapper rig with little strips of bluey, and a bigger squid bait on a pulley rig. On what must've been the second cast of the pulley rig, as I'm showing some passers-by a photo of a smooth-hound, the rod takes a dive and I strike in to my first smoothie in weeks. It was beached in no time at all and was the center of attention of a few passers-by who recorded it as I went to get my T-bar. At around 3lbs, it was released well.

The humid evening plodded on as the tide began to flood and the light faded, but the sudden activity was fleeting as no bites registered for another 2 hours. Towards the end of the session, I was talking to my friend who showed up to fish the flood when the rod stand clattered to the ground, reminding me that I didn't have my drag set! I fumbled around in the dark finding the rod that caused the mess and struck into a decent fighting hound, which was landed around 5 minutes later. Looks were deceiving in the dark but once I picked it up I was delighted as it was close to my PB, I'm awful at guessing weights but I reckoned it to be around 6lbs.
It was promptly released and that was it for the evening, we fished on for another 50 mins to no avail.
Twas great to be out on such a fine evening :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: A comeback - Wexford 13/08/2020

Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:34 pm

Fair play. I'm not having much luck in east wexford. Was at cahore south today for 4 small flounder and was told I should fish south wexford in august. Pity I didn't meet him last week as that's the last of the fishing for me this week

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:17 pm

That's a decent hound, fair play to ya.
It would be a quiet summer without them :?

Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:20 pm

kenf41 wrote:Fair play. I'm not having much luck in east wexford. Was at cahore south today for 4 small flounder and was told I should fish south wexford in august. Pity I didn't meet him last week as that's the last of the fishing for me this week

Cheers kenf41. I believe south wexford around kilmore would be a better shot but this was in the waterford estuary. Pity about your results, hope ya can get back down soon.

MONKEYwrasse wrote:That's a decent hound, fair play to ya.
It would be a quiet summer without them :?

Cheers MonkeyWrasse and you're dead right, I've had nothing else other than doggies since March. Of course there are a few bass around on the right tides and conditions, but otherwise there doesn't seem to be much about. A few mackerel apparently but very sporadic! Still need to try for the usual rock species but it looks like it's hounds on the cards until Mr Cod arrives? :wink:

Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:33 pm

I may be back. I believe September is a better time for here

Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:34 pm

Good work Teegerstk! Delighted for ya! Maybe see ya tomorrow?

Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:45 pm

Good man you got a few fish, Your not the only one having the blanks !! I have fished hard over the last few weeks trying lots of marks on the south coast, Cullinstown,Kilmore,The Saleens,Rostoonstown,Tinnebearna,Courtown,Ballyquin, The burrow in Kilmore Quay. Had one or two smoothies on Rostoonstown and Tinnebearna but by far my most sucessful outing was in Courtown with six smoothies and a dab one session and another session with four smoothies and countless pin whiting. Its always nice to try new marks but i was going back to courtown to catch fish. Am sure you were delighted with catching !! well done