New swilly mark

Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:35 am

Decided to go fishing last night as was off work today, so once I picked the wife up from her late shift I packed the car and headed off. The pier I wanted to fish was packed with youngsters who had rods in the water and music blasting, not my cup of tea. So headed to another mark I had scouted in the past which wasn't a million miles away. From what I have seen the water is shallower in close so distance casting was essential but difficult as its a very narrow mark, just enough room for one angler. Set up and wandered down to the shoreline, first few cast came back untouched so confidence was ebbing, but by the 4th cast I found the doggies. It wasn't fast sport but every 15minutes I was getting bites, 4 doggies in and a few dropped I messed up a cast and while I picked out a birds nest a wee tub gurnard took a fancy to my sandeel bait,, been a long time since I got a wee tub. It was soon back to bite less fishing so put on a double sandeel and blasted it to the horizon. Packed up gear and turned back to the rod to see a slack line, wound down and stuck into a bigger fish, it was putting up a better fight than the dogs so much be a ray and sure enough a few minutes later a fine 6lb thronie was at my feet. Once it's released I moaned at the fact it was the last of my bait, but went home happy knowing that this new mark could throw up fish and having caught 6 fish within 3 hours wasn't a bad return for my efforts.

Re: New swilly mark

Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:36 am

Always the way with bait running out as the session gets going! Any pictures of the thornie?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:21 pm

delmonte wrote:Always the way with bait running out as the session gets going! Any pictures of the thornie?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry had everything packed away when got the ray

Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:37 pm

Happy days! Well done! I agree re the loud music and large groups!

Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:25 pm

Good result for a last minute change of venue!

Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:18 pm

Another worthwhile adventure.