Portrane Beach 30.07.2020

Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:10 pm

When: 30/07/2020
Where: Portrane Beach
Duration: 18:00-21:30
High Water: 20:45
Equipment: 15ft Shakespeare Agility Surf Rod - 1/0 two hook flapper rig with beads/attractors & 7oz grip lead. & 11ft bass rod - 1/0 two hook flapper rig with beads/attractors & 5oz grip lead. Bite detection bells.
Bait: Ragworm tipped with squid.
Conditions: Very strong southerly winds, and plenty of surf.
Result: Microscopic flounder.

After a good month of mostly boat fishing I decided to give the beach a bash today, I dug 20 good size rag the day before and headed back to my favorite spot on Portrane beach. I was the first angler on the scene and the water was rushing in as I scouted out my spot for the evening. Not long after setting up, more anglers started to arrive, and at one stage there must have been at least 10 rods in the water. After a few hours of nothing happening, no signs of anyone else catching anything and as I was running low on bait I decided to start packing it in. After reeling in the second rod I found I had a tiny flounder on my hook to save the blank :lol:

Re: Portrane Beach 30.07.2020

Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:44 pm

Personally I’ve found shore fishing for July around north Dublin has been disappointing, especially after some great sessions in May and June. Weather hadn’t been great in fairness.

Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:19 pm

Greendag wrote:Personally I’ve found shore fishing for July around north Dublin has been disappointing, especially after some great sessions in May and June. Weather hadn’t been great in fairness.

Here's to hoping things pick up again soon

Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:38 pm

Fishing often picks up on that beach in September

Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:23 pm

Here's a timelapse video I made of the session, but turned off camera before getting the tiny flounder so it's not in it lol

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vZ0Rj1JUfOU
Last edited by Gonzo on Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:21 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Greendag wrote:Personally I’ve found shore fishing for July around north Dublin has been disappointing, especially after some great sessions in May and June. Weather hadn’t been great in fairness.

I think july has always been like that.
I'm hoping August is good as I've booked a house on morriscastle beach for a week

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:09 am

kenf41 wrote:
Gonzo wrote:

I think july has always been like that.
I'm hoping August is good as I've booked a house on morriscastle beach for a week

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

It was better tonight fishing north Dublin, a couple of hounds and a plague of whiting, plenty of bites. Nothing spectacular but an improvement on my last couple of local sessions