Greystones Harbour 30.06.2020

Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:56 pm

When: 30/06/2020
Where: Greystones Harbour
Duration: 19:30-22:00
High Water: 20:27
Equipment: 11ft Daiwa bass rod with Shimano 4000 Reel.
Bait/Rig: Tinsel feathers with 3oz weight on 11ft rod and switched to 3 hook flapper with size 4 hooks, 3oz grip lead & mackerel/flounder chunks after a while.
Conditions: Overcast with a bit of drizzle but water was fairly calm, still a bit coloured from recent rough weather though.
Result: Small pollock whiting, and either a bigish pollock or bass that fell off while trying to hoist up.

So after the crap start over at Bullock harbour and a short drive down the road, I arrived at greystones harbour, and there was loads of people fishing! There was even people on their boats fishing just outside the harbour so things looked good! I tried for mackerel with tinsel feathers for a while but switched to 3 hook flapper with fish baits after a while of not catching anything. First cast within 5 minutes I had a bite, it was a small pollock! Second cast I had a big bite not too long after, this one really fought hard, I got a glimpse as I was pulling it out of the water, but the drag was too loose so I had to tighten it up and as I did that the fish dropped off :( It kind of looked like a bass from the glimpse that I got but could have easily been a bigish pollock.

There was an Asian fellow fishing beside me and at one stage he let out a big cheer and was laughing, I looked over and this guy had just caught a good size lobster on mackerel feathers :lol: never seen anything like it! I had to get a pic of that :lol:

I had a good time here in Greystones so I will be back!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Gonzo on Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Greystones Harbour 30.06.2020

Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:19 pm

Actually think this might have been a whiting? does anybody know?

Re: Greystones Harbour 30.06.2020

Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:47 pm

Think it is a whiting, the lower lip of a pollack is longer than the upper lip.