Waterford Estuary (again) - June 2020

Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:45 pm

I had to get back out fishing after the success from the past 2 weeks and so after a blank in Waterford on the 5th of June I hit a local pier once again on the 8th.

June 8th
With squid being a bigger draw then fresh peeler for the hounds recently I went out armed with a packet in hopes of similar results. I arrived about an hour before HW and fished a pulley rig with half a squid. Within 15 minutes the rod tip doubled over to announce the presence of a somewhat decent smoothhound. As I brought it closer to the shore I realised I wasn't going to be able to steer it around the head of the pier and up the steps safely as there were others fishing beside me. I decided to chance my arm hauling it up by hand but just as it cleared the surface the hook snapped at the tip and it was free. A decent one of about 6lbs gone in a fleeting moment. I won't say any brand names but let's just say I better stick with Cox and Rawle next time! With newfound confidence I fished on and received plenty of smooth hound bites to no avail, I couldn't hook a single one. Dispersed between these bites I caught 2 dogfish to save the blank. Quite a frustrating session but a lesson learned.

June 10th
There was no way I was gonna leave it at that, I had to get my revenge. I went out last night with squid yet again, fishing an hour before and after HW. Within 20 minutes of the first cast I lifted in to a hard fighting smooth hound, which this time I steered around the head of the pier and safely up the steps. At around 5lbs, he was landed without a bother and safely released. A great start to the session, although from there it went quiet apart from a lone dogfish until around 45 mins after high tide, the squid prevailed yet again to find the hardest fighting smooth hound I've ever fought on the end of my rig. I didn't try to bully it in this time as I was afraid something would snap (60lb trace- paranoid!), but this led to my demise as it peeled off my line and swam back out into the channel. Suddenly the resistance turned into a dead weight as a potential new PB smooth hound dove into the kelp and snagged my rig about 80m out. Gutted wasn't the word. I tried leaving it for a while but eventually had to pull for a break. I had a few more huge bites but yet again failed to hook into anything.

In fairness it was pretty good going on frozen bait but I can't help but think about the one that got away. I wanted to try again tonight but with some harsh north easterlies in effect for the next day or so, I said I'd leave it for a while and try out a low tide mark next week. I can't see why I wasn't hooking those hounds, I'm sure I wasn't striking too early. 3/0 hooks were used on a pulley rig, would a running ledger work better or do I need a pennel hook (I thought this would be overkill for smoothies)?
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Tight lines all
Last edited by Teegerstk on Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Waterford Estuary (again) - June 2020

Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:19 pm

Excellent report that's what it's all about at least u landed one it's like going to a top notch restaurant all ways leaves u wanting more lol

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:13 am

Teegerstk wrote:I can't see why I wasn't hooking those hounds, I'm sure I wasn't striking too early. 3/0 hooks were used on a pulley rig, would a running ledger work better or do I need a pennel hook (I thought this would be overkill for smoothies)?
Tight lines all

Hi Mate,

A pennell rig will definitely help, the sakuma pennell hooks for the top "flying" hook is excellent, or a circle/semi-circle hook works really well.

Another good tip is the length of your pennell rig, 3 to 4 foot is usually good. Invariably the hounds will swim against the tide run homing in on scent, if he picks up your bait and continues uptide, he will have about 8 foot to swim with no resistance from your grip lead. Should be ample time to get the bait into his mouth.

Other than that, just make sure you use plenty of bait elastic to keep the hook point clear. Also keep the bait size relatively small, fish as you would to target a dogfish. Lastly on the strike, dont be too keen to hit it too early, keep the drag loose, allow the fish time to run, and slow the drag with your hand before a gentle sweep of the rod to set the hook. Great that your getting the runs - even better on & more economical on squid, enjoy them while they're here!!

Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:19 pm

alby wrote:
Teegerstk wrote:I can't see why I wasn't hooking those hounds, I'm sure I wasn't striking too early. 3/0 hooks were used on a pulley rig, would a running ledger work better or do I need a pennel hook (I thought this would be overkill for smoothies)?
Tight lines all

Hi Mate,

A pennell rig will definitely help, the sakuma pennell hooks for the top "flying" hook is excellent, or a circle/semi-circle hook works really well.

Another good tip is the length of your pennell rig, 3 to 4 foot is usually good. Invariably the hounds will swim against the tide run homing in on scent, if he picks up your bait and continues uptide, he will have about 8 foot to swim with no resistance from your grip lead. Should be ample time to get the bait into his mouth.

Other than that, just make sure you use plenty of bait elastic to keep the hook point clear. Also keep the bait size relatively small, fish as you would to target a dogfish. Lastly on the strike, dont be too keen to hit it too early, keep the drag loose, allow the fish time to run, and slow the drag with your hand before a gentle sweep of the rod to set the hook. Great that your getting the runs - even better on & more economical on squid, enjoy them while they're here!!

Cheers alby, will use a pennel next time, I've heard of people using the sakuma pennels like you said or the cox and rawle chinu hooks for the top hook. I usually use a 3ft trace to keep the bait away from the lead.
That's sound advice about striking, i'll try that next time. It reminds me of my first ever smooth hound 2 years ago. I had my drag set loose enough and the fish ended up picking it up and running for a while before i reached the rod and the hook was already set.
Honestly it's great how successful the squid is at the moment- I have more crab on me so I might do a comparison during the next session.
Thanks again