Howth East Pier 28.05.2020

Thu May 28, 2020 6:24 pm

When: 28/05/2020
Where: Howth East Pier on the elbow
Duration: 15:00-17:30
High Water: 16:48
Equipment: 9ft abu spinning rod with a toby spinner & 11ft bass rod with a float
Bait: Mackerel/squid on the float.
Conditions: Sunny with a cool Southerly wind.
Result: Blank

Tried to get some either mackerel or pollock here on the float, and also spinning with a toby while waiting for the float to dip, but no joy, not even a nibble.

Re: Howth East Pier 28.05.2020

Fri May 29, 2020 11:10 am

Gonzo

The seals in Howth were notorious... in my time there were some that came right into the harbour, two massive lumps would hang around Balscadden waiting to steal off the mackerel bashers, so that may have something to do with the lack of Pollack.

I can't recall anywhere in the immediate area outside Howth where you would get pollack from the shore. You'll just have to make do with bass and smooth-hounds for now! :mrgreen:

Fri May 29, 2020 8:28 pm

kieran wrote:Gonzo

The seals in Howth were notorious... in my time there were some that came right into the harbour, two massive lumps would hang around Balscadden waiting to steal off the mackerel bashers, so that may have something to do with the lack of Pollack.

I can't recall anywhere in the immediate area outside Howth where you would get pollack from the shore. You'll just have to make do with bass and smooth-hounds for now! :mrgreen:

Yep and of course there was a seal knocking about yesterday :lol:

Sat May 30, 2020 9:23 am

The long pier atthe knuckle holds some Pollock casting out towards a reef ,